What's new

Before You Buy Richard Gray, Read This (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
In the past, I've commented negatively on Richard Gray, here as well as elsewheres. It's my position that he is a charlatan who designs expensive products which provide dubious benefit to the consumer and his 'Gray Papers' are a testament to a lack of knowledge about electrical theory and misrepresentation of reality. The fact that he's sold thousands of his products or that they may be seen in high end salons or shows like the CES in no way diminishes their dubious benefits.

You will find that even that hallowed bastion of tweakism, StereoPhile, frowns severely. Read about it here for more insight.

For those of you who are considering this product, I urge you to look elsewhere for nirvana. This is the road to perdition.

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting article and post.
I've always wondered why you wouldn't run your HT equipment from a computer grade UPS, that is one that puts out a proper sinewave.

Thoughts?

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I know, APC SmartUPS outputs pure sine wave but you need SmartUPS 1000 or higher. The lower end model like the 700 will not do it.

Simon

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
From the user manual for a smartUPS 1400

APC Smart-UPS XL 1400VA RM 3U 120V
Part Number : SU1400RMXL3U
Estimated Resale Price *: $729.00

"On-battery output voltage Pure sine wave output at 120 Vac ±5%, -10% after low battery warning, synchronized to utility line"

Runtime
Typical backup time at half load(525 Watts) 23.5 minutes

Which puts in the the price reange of the Grey device.

Seems like an easy choice to me.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
In reading one of the letters following the review -

"...experiment with plugging your components into their own power strips and placing additional loads (lamps, etc.) across the same circuit. For some reason, my turntable always sounded more enticing with the CD player idling. "

Since the cold weather set in, I have a ~1000 watt space heater on a thermostat. When it kicks in, my system becomes a bit more "lush" in it's sound. It's very noticeable.

Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks