What's new

Before "Toy Story" (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Caught a 1961 Twilight Zone today, "Five Chacters In Search Of An Exit".
Damn, I'm already in spoiler land.
The five characters turn out to be dolls that are only "alive" when alone with each other.
Obviously I thought of Toy Story.
From 1987, "The Brave Little Toaster" seemed to me to be a strong influence on Toy Story.
I'm really a big fan of "Toaster" and in addition to the "animated only when alone" characters, there are some real plot similarities with Toy Story.
Other stories that might be referenced go back at least to Golem or talking dummies like Magic, but these, I believe, are really different genres dealing with horror and mental illness.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I was wondering what the twist in that episode was. I had the marathon on at work yesterday, but that was the only episode that I was able to sort of follow, except I ended up missing the end.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Jim Henson did a tv special in the 80's, called "The Christmas Toy" with a very similar premise to Toy Story. There's even a Buzz Lightyear counterpart.

I'd be amazed if the Pixar folks were totally unaware of it.

There is also the 1977 animated film based on Raggedy Ann that covers similar ground.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Hey, Brave Little Toaster, got that for my kids about 15 years ago? I think i liked it more than they did!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I vaguely remember the TZ episode. The characters were trying to get out of a box and were unhappy, weren't they? A vastly different tonal difference from TS, but the core device point is the same.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

If you get another chance to see "Five Characters In Search Of An Exit", compare the ballerina's emotions with Jesse singing "When She Loved Me", in TS2.

No tonal difference.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'll have to put in a search for it on my HR20. It's my recollection that the "toys" in the box don't know they are toys and feel trapped. They want to escape. In TS, the toys know what they are and much of the plot revolves around staying, not escaping. They want to remain Any's toys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babarrun
Recent bookmarks