What's new

Before I take the Mac leap (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The first link, Daryl. WinXP Home OEM is just fine for BootCamp. It gets more interesting if you're also using Parallels.

I'll note that I first tried an already registered version of Pro (borrowed from work). It went smoothly (albeit non-activated, working as a temp test setup). I then bought Home to use once I decided to stick with it. Home gave me some issues and didn't go as smoothly with BootCamp or Parallels. Don't know why. If you don't mind spending an additional $50 (?), I'd go Pro.

Also, XP Home doesn't support WPA2 / WPA wireless security out of the box. There's a hotfix available from MS that takes care of it. I'll send you the link if you'll need it.

If you want an absolutely hassle free install for both Bootcamp and Parallels, get XP Pro, retail. Or XP Home, retail. But to save some significant $$, OEM Home works.

I installed OEM Home for Bootcamp like normal, and activated as usual. I then installed Parallels using my BootCamp install and Windows said my hardware had changed significantly and re-activation was required. I tried that, and it said I'd already activated an OEM copy once and would have to call or FAX the support line.

I called the # it gave, and met with an automated system. I said that I had installed it before, once. And my hardware had changed significantly, but not the motherboard. It said Okey-Dokey and gave me the magic # to re-activate it (in Parallels).

I've read that OEM is not really supported for virtualization and Parallels recommends buying the full version. But it worked for me, and others. And it's much cheaper.

And I'm in violation of my OEM license: I did not place the Microsoft OEM sticker on my Mac, as required by the license :D

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Thx Andrew and DaveF. After the blackbook purchase I won't be buying anything for awhile. That took almost 3 months worth of my income. I don't get squat per month. :D When/If I do decide to run WinXP and a simple reboot can save me 70/80 bucks I'll use bootcamp. I won't want internet access on Windows either so I'll try to block it. I'll only need WinXP for my URC TX-1000 universal remote and maybe a couple free dvd editing apps I just can't do without (no mac equivalent).

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Well, well, well, UPS delivered my Blackbook today. :D But it will be Thursday before I open it and get it set up. I asked my son to come Thursday to help set it up so he can help me get into system preferences to turn stick keys and mouse keys on so I have full control. That gives me till then to make sure I've completed backed up everything externally I need to off my Dell (syncing whats already backed up). Nerves are starting to faultier. ;)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Gotta question. After my first startup (which I beleive is the Admin account) my first step will be to create a standard user account. Once I create that account can I then just use fast switching to change to that user account or should I reboot into it?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure you need to bother creating a different account like you would with a Windows box. By default no matter which account you're logged in with any program that tries to write to the system will prompt you for your admin password.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Whatever account you create first will have admin rights. Whenever you install software that will add or modify files outside your home directory, you will be prompted to enter your password.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

The others are right -- you can just type in your admin username/password when you need it. But to answer your question, you can use fast user switching. You don't need to reboot to switch users.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Daryl,
You don't need separate "admin" and "user" accounts. The system makes your account a "user" account automatically, and prompts you for your password when "admin" privilege is needed to e.g. install software.

If you want multiple accounts, then definitely enable Fast User Switching (in Preferences). It's the killer app, IMO, for Mac and for family use.

I'm flying on business today, and taking my Mac with me. We'll see how it travels. I hope to either watch a movie with it or start on my reviews :)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Thx guys. Funny thing is lastnight after I layed down I realized how rediculous my question was. I only half to log out of the original admin account and log in the new user account. Since I always created my user account (w/admin rights) along with the default admin account whenever I reinstalled windows I never had to log in/out of accounts. I just down at end of day and boot straight to my account each morning without needing to log in. :)

Another question. Let's say I eject (or drag to trash) an external drive but leave it connected. Is there a way to remount it without recycling it's power or disconnect and reconnect it? Tomorrow afternoon is my mac christening. I'm still a mac virgin. :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Six of one, half dozen of the other perhaps. But why mess with the physical connection if you don't have to? Plus if you use a launcher app like Quicksilver or Butler (which I highly recommend) there's no need to hunt through your application folder. Just a few keystrokes and you can open Disk Utility.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately my son didn't come yesterday so I haven't gotten to setup my macbook yet. Hopefully soon.

Cameron, I do plan to use quicksilver. I've even been using a similar app for Windows called Launchy to get use to not using my start menu. It's in no way near as powerful as QS but I can open apps, files and folders with it.. :)

I'm gonna have to use mousekeys to move the pointer but I'm thinking of plugging in my usb belkin 3 button mouse to see if it will work in conjuction with mousekeys. If it will, awesome. Then I'll have rightclick ability eliminating the need to ctrl+click(or click and hold) and may also gain middleclick which I currently use constantly to open links in new tabs (not sure middleclick is functional on OS X).

Heh, the reason I asked the question is because I'm quadriplegic. I can't use my hands, lol I can't even move my arms. :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It should work just fine. I use a Dell mouse with scroll wheel and the OS recognizes the scroll button click, which I assume would be the same thing. At home I use a Razer mouse that has a control panel plugin to customize button actions. Belkin may have something similar if you need a little more customization.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Good. I had software for my mouse but never used it and it's long dissappeared somewhere into the twilight zone. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks