Before I go and build this...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronnie Ferrell, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

Before I spend the money and take the time to build a center channel, I need a little input. I just ordered a HK-520, my first HT receiver and should get it Friday. It can drive a 4ohm load. I have 8ohm GR-A/V1s for my mains. I am wanting to build an A/V1+ to use as my center which has a 4ohm load. Will I have any problems calibrating the system with a 4ohm center and 8ohm mains and surrounds?
    I know the A/V1+ will voice properly with the A/V1s but I am concerned about the different loads.

Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Ronnie

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Ronnie,
    You shouldn't have any problem at all. I'm currently doing the opposite (4ohm mains, 8ohm center) and haven't had any troubles. In fact, oddly enough the much more efficient 4ohm mains had to have more gain given to them during calibration. Funny how rooms can do that. [​IMG]

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ronnie,

I'd think the H/K should handle it fine. Most quality receivers these days have separate amp modules for each channel so you should be good to go.

Also, sorry about not getting back to you about the Newcastle receiver. My father-in-law wasn't doing well on Monday and I have been playing catch-up the rest of the week here in the shop.

4. Ronnie Ferrell

Thanks for the info Dan and Brian!
    I knew the HK could handle the load, I was just concerned with being able to calibrate it properly with different loads, ie- center being louder than the mains and not being able to correct it, or something funky like that...
    I still might just build a shielded A/V-1 and slap a grill on it as the center. The A/V-1+ would just look cooler and visually more balanced as a center without a grill than the A/V-1 would.
    Brian- thats OK about the Newcastle info. Sorry I did not get to give you some business with the receiver purchase. I feel kinda bad about it. I just could not pass up the HK-520 for $514 shipped.
    But if anyone else is interested in the Newcastle line of receivers, give Brian a yell!
    I am so pumped! FedEx was early and the HK-520 is sitting on my office floor. My work x-mas party is tonight so it will be Friday night before I get to play with it. [​IMG] What torture!!![​IMG]

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ronnie,

Don't tell anyone, but I'm 90% positive that the parent company that manufactures Sherwood Newcastle receivers also manufactures the H/K receivers!

And don't worry about not giving me the business. I was giving you a deal so my dad and I wouldn't have made $100 between the two of us.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Oh BTW, the added dynamic capabilities would definitely be worth the added cost of the A/V-1+ over the A/V-1. Just thought I'd give you some more to think about! [​IMG]

7. Ronnie Ferrell

8. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

"I will probable like the A/V-1+ so much for the center, it will make me want to get A/V-1+ for mains and put the A/V-1s in the rear."
    [​IMG]
    That's just was I was going to say [​IMG] I would definitely build the shielded A/V-C (A/V-1+). I would hold off on the SCH stuff. It's not that they are bad or anything. They are great speakers for the price, I just think you will be soooo much happier if you went ahead & got a set of A/V-1+. That would be one nicely matched setup if you did. Hey, it's Christmas time. Work on Mrs. Claus for the extra $$$ [​IMG] BTW, I gave your spike idea another plug the other day. Works great!!!
    Brian, Hope your father-in-law is doing better.
    Dan, Email me so I have your address so I can send you some pics. / plans [​IMG]

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ronnie,

I just measured the diameter of the drivers and they're right at 6.25" so you will probably have to make the cabinet right at the drivers' size or slightly wider. And you'll probably have to move the port down to one end of the cabinet on the front baffle. I don't think there'd be enough room for the layout like the picture that Chris posted.

We also built a sealed enclosure for someone that needed to put it in a cabinet. IIRC, the total depth of the enclosure was 7" but check with Danny if you decide to go that route.

10. Ronnie Ferrell

Brian-
    I might have more room than I said. The 6" to 6.5" height clearance is a guess. I have not actually measured it. I do know it is not enough space to build the A/V-1 or A/V-1+ as is.

Chris-
    I have already hit Mrs. Claus up for the extra doe that I added to my birthday money to get the HK-520. Also Mrs. Claus just dropped 3-grand today for 2 leather chairs for the living room. They're really nice, but OUCH!!!I am pretty tapped out right now.

Ronnie

11. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

12. Ronnie Ferrell

13. Will Orth

Will Orth Stunt Coordinator

Well I have 8ohm L-R mains and a 4 ohm center...
    and seems to work well i had to even give the 4ohms a little boost..

Will