Before I buy

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Geoff_R, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Geoff_R

Geoff_R Extra

Ok... I'm about to make the biggest HT purchase I have ever made, and am just wanting some educated outside opinions before I invest a large chunk of money into a TV. I've looked at local dealers and beleive a 42 inch rear projection lcd sony wega would be my best choice. There are 4 reasons i chose this set.

1.) Superior picture (especially on cable) to any of the tvs its size (looked mainly at Rear projection's from hitachi, pioneer(broadline), mitsubishi, and sony.)

2.) Need a smaller tv because I'm in a smaller apartment, and the 80 pound LCD would be easier to move updown 3 flights of stairs than a large rear projection.

3.) Price....more than conventional Rear projection tvs but better picture quality....less than DLP's so it is more in my price range.

4.) I play video games (big kid at heart), and have heard there is no chance of image burn on rear projection lcd displays.

Anyone have any input...good or bad on this tv before I purchase it? If so I would love to hear.

I was also wondering what a good dvd player for this set would be...It has a dvi input but I'm not very familiar with DVI. I wanted to stay under 350. Also I am friends with a gentleman at a local stereo shop so I can get a good discount on Pioneer, LG, Sony, Sony ES, denon, and hitachi, but am willing to pick one up elsewhere if its a better player.

Thanks

Link to TV on Sony Website

2. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

I've had the 42" Sony for about a week. It's a great TV. SD broadcasts via DirecTV look as good as they did on my old 27" conventional TV (I was surprised by this). I have not upgraded to HDTV, so I don't have input there.

I don't have any dead pixels that I can see (I checked). Others have mentioned poor "black level" with LCD TV's...I just don't see it. I suppose the blacks aren't perfect, but you really don't notice. That may change when I hookup HDTV.

My TV is connected to an Onkyo DV-SP800 ($800) with Monster THX component cables for DVD playback. DVD's look very good.

I have heard that the Sony GWIII does poorly with a DVI connection. Apparently there is an issue with "Black Crush" with a DVI connection. I don't have first hand knowledge of this, but it has been mentioned by others.

Also, the TV is very light (64 pounds, or something like that). I removed it from the box and put it on its stand without help. Because of its awkward size, however, you'd need help moving the TV any distance (ie. up stairs or across a room).

Enjoy!!!!

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

There is also a display section, youll get better responses there. That being said, no way an LCD pj TV will throw a better picture than a DLP, nor approach a CRT based RPTV. I would do a more serious viewing test on well-calibrated sets, as if you're seeing a clearly better picture on an LCD RPTV than on a CRT, something's amiss.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Please post questions relating to displays in the Display Devices section. Thank you.

5. Geoff_R

Geoff_R Extra

Dave, Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. Hope you like your new set [​IMG]

sorry i wasn't clear.... I know dlp's look slightly better but are out of my price range. As far as the CRT rear projections the lcd sony is much less grainy than the 46 inch rear projection crt sony. Also on cable there is no comparison between the hitachi and the mits sets i have seen side by side with the lcd sony. The only + for the rear projection CRTs i've seen is slightly deeper blacks, and perhaps slightly deeper colors. I know dlp's and higher end rear projections look nicer than lcd (like pioneer elite pro 530) but it seems to me all of the 46" sets are entry level crt sets, and seem to lack the quality that the lcd has. I've also seen the sony at multiple shops, on multiple inputs and I have to admit it looks better all around than the 46" crt's i've seen, but not as crisp as the higher end ones, or the dlps.

That aside I beleive i've made up my mind.... I was more interested in what DVD player would be best for it. I've heard good things about LCD's and DVI players, however I would like some feedback if anyone has any more knowledge of the DVI problem DaveDickey was refering to.

6. Mike Wilk

Mike Wilk Stunt Coordinator

I did my "in-persons" looking to buy a Sammy HLN467 but after hearing about this new upstart GWIII. I looked at HLN 43,46/56, and 61's at stores with WE42, 50, and 60's. Not always the same sizes at the same stores. I compared the HD loops, DVD's over component, and SD signals. I've had my WE42 just under 3 weeks.
    I don't have experience with DVI yet since my progressive, multidisc unit is just under a year old but I believe most of the problems have been reported with the Sammy 931 and the Sony.
    YMMV

7. James Tg

James Tg Stunt Coordinator

Geoff:

I am like you, and looking for a LCD HDTV. I compared the all HDTV in BB two weeks ago, and found the SONY LCD 50" provides the best image quality in the shop. It has the same quality as the Samsung DLP with less MSRP. My only concern is the reliability of LCD, e.g., dead pixels. The BB saleman told me that LCD is more reliable than CRT. Have you heard about it?

James

8. Geoff_R

Geoff_R Extra

James,

It is my understanding the advantage to rear projection LCD tv's such as the new grand wega is that you no longer have to worry about burnt out pixels. Previous LCD's have transistors on each pixel, however in the new RP LCD's they have 1 bulb (like in a DLP or kind of like a projector). Instead of 1 pixel being burnt out the whole set will. Instead of costly repair you would just slap in a new bulb. I could have been misinformed, and if so would appreciate any feedback to correct my thoughts.

Geoff