Before DVD.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Thomas, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas Second Unit

Before anybody bought their players. Did anyone care about stuff like Widescreen, Pan&Scan, suppliments, video/audio quality?

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

3. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

4. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

Not me, did'nt have a clue as to the importance of it all. Who would of thought that the free world hinged on whether Circuit City got away with the DIVX scam, and that modern man could not advance to the next stage of evolution without a proper appreciation for the correct aspect ratio? Who knew! [​IMG]

5. Matthew Watson

Matthew Watson Stunt Coordinator

And not just laserdisc owners. Although I had access to a laserdisc player, I didn't have one of my own. I went out of my way, as long ago as 1992, to find films on VHS that were in OAR. I recall looking through a video store's distributor catalog to find a widescreen version of Greenaway's The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, because I had learned early on about OAR. As has been written before by many other HTFers, I also thought that one of the great benefits of DVD would be the capability of pleasing everyone, film enthusiasts and the other lot. OAR is the critical factor for me when watching movies at home.
    I'll never forget the day I saw Blade Runner on laserdisc... widescreen, sharp picture, etc. I'll miss widescreen.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Matthew Watson

Matthew Watson Stunt Coordinator

8. Rutledge

Rutledge Stunt Coordinator

I did. In 1991 I bought a Panasonic S-VHS player and purchased letterboxed S-VHS copies of movies like "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" and "Hunt for Red October". i still have the movies, but the VCR died years ago.

9. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Not me. I never had interest in collecting movies (I had a few VHS titles, mostly Disney). I knew about widescreen and "modified to fit your TV" but never gave it a lot of thought - didn't really know much about P&S, etc.
    Then in 1998 I got into DVD (first DVD-ROM drive on the PC, then a player) and it's never been the same since. Started reading websites and forums like this one and now I'm that home theater geek to people I know -- and I'm not nearly as bad as a lot of you. [​IMG]

10. Nestor Vargas

Before DVD I didn't buy any VHS tittles because when I bought my first motion picture in home video "Jurassic Park" the tape started saying "This movie has ben modified to fit this screen" so I knew there was something wrong in watching movies that way. Then I went to read magazines about the matter and discovered that LD was the preferred format back in 1993 to watch films in OAR. Furthermore I read about a new development that was in process of being introduced to market, DVD, so I waited for it and even after getting into it I bought an LD player.
    ------------------
    ¡Que vivan las películas en su formato original!

11. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    Scott, I was an early laserdisc owner (1983 I bought my first model, the summer after high school). Went through three models before DVD came along. Widescreen laserdisc came along in the late 80s, I'd say. Can't remember what the first widescreen title I bought was -- Criterion's "Close Enounters," possibly.
    But there weren't a lot of us -- I think laserdisc penetration at the time of DVD's debut was less than 2% of American households. But laserdisc WAS starting to grow in popularity, until DVD came along and blew it out of the water.

12. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Dispite the fact that I was a projectionist at a movie theater before DVD I knew very little about sound formats and aspect ratios. I knew that digital soundtracks were better than analogue but didnt really know why. I owned a few letterbox VHS tapes but the vast majority of my collection was p&s. It wasn't unusual for me to hook up a couple of VCRs and dub a Blockbuster cassette, so picture and sound quality wern't very high on my list of priorities. Oh how things have changed.............

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

quote: Maybe I'm just feeling grumpy, but I keep seeing evidence that OAR will become a luxury, as hard to find as the OAR VHS tapes I had to hunt down back in the olde days.[/quote] I think you may be looking at those threads the wrong way. Ten years ago, even five, the question of OAR would never have gotten the attention it's getting today. You have to look past the ignorant comments to the fact that the issue is now squarely on the table and being debated by the likes of Blockbuster and Walmart. Not so long ago, the question of OAR wouldn't even have been on their radar screen.
    There are more films available today for home viewing in OAR than at any time in history. That trend isn't suddenly going to reverse itself. The vast majority of filmmakers remain committed to the proper presentation of their work for home viewing, and even popular TV programs are now being broadcast in widescreen. The Chicken Littles around here have been far too quick to panic based on a handful of titles that, with only a modicum of pressure from the enthusiast community, were then issued separately by the studio in OAR.
    M.
    [Edited last by Michael Reuben on October 18, 2001 at 10:02 PM]

14. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I never had the money to get into laserdisc collecting. I did have a large collection of VHS tapes though and I always tried to find widescreen versions of films - not an easy task. DVD was a godsend!
    ------------------
    My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
    1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Before DVD, I used to look on the back of VHS tapes to see if the digital logo was on there and if THX was there too. If they were then I would get ready to be bombarded with fantastic audio and video quality. [​IMG]

16. Brian Crowe

Brian Crowe Stunt Coordinator

Personally I always found those "formatted to fit your screen" messages a bit unsettling. I mean, no matter where I watched the movie they ALWAYS knew what size my screen was. Creepy.
    ~Crowe~

17. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

18. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I couldn't afford to get into LD, but I've always appreciated the benefits of a widescreen transfer. It's really the only reason I ever got into DVD.

19. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I couldn't afford Laserdisc either, and I wanted to wait until the technology was ready to hold an entire movie on one side of a disc...
    So I was looking forward to DVD for probably ten years, while I was watching crappy P&S VHS tapes, because that's all I could get!
    ------------------
    ~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

20. wally

wally Second Unit

Anyone yearn for the return of DIVX? Wouldn't that be a great pairing with Pan and Scan? The J6P bundle!!
    I'm half serious with the above comment. DIVX discs are Pan and Scan, non-DIVX OAR. I would bet that most people who buy movies for multiple viewings are OAR sensitive.