Before anyone worries about "shorter than usual" episodes of Fresh Prince...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Robert Cruz, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Robert Cruz

Robert Cruz Stunt Coordinator

I can tell you that Fresh Prince has quite a few short episodes which may appear to be syndication length, but aren't. Here's a list of which episodes are short, and the lengths:

Season 1 (length range: 23:30 - 23:50):

1. The Fresh Prince Project (22:00)
    3. Clubba Hubba (21:49)

Season 2 (length range: 22:50 - 23:20):

2. The Mother of All Battles (22:00)

Season 3 (length range: 23:00 - 23:10):

11. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (22:30..definitely not syndication length, just not in the range mentioned)

Season 4 (length range: 22:20 - 22:40):

5. Will Goes a-Courtin' (21:55)
    7. Blood is Thicker Than Mud (21:30)
    18. You'd Better Shop Around (21:40)

Season 5 (length range: 22:20 - 22:40):

14. Bullets Over Bel-Air (21:55)
    18. Slum Like It...Not! (22:00)
    24. For Whom the Wedding Bells Toll (22:00)

Season 6 (length range: 22:00 - 22:40)

8. Viva Lost Wages (21:35)
    12. I, Clownius (21:50)

The episodes "Someday Your Prince Will Be in Effect", "Where There's a Will, There's a Way", "What's Will Got to Do With It?", "There's the Rub", and "I, Done" are all hour-long episodes (which would fall around 42-47 minutes each without commercials). Chances are, these episodes will be more or less the same length on the DVDs (season 1 has proved that...season 2 looks to have done the same). Any questions, just ask.

Hope this ends some confusion...

2. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Thanks for that. [​IMG] This is one of my favorite shows; I knew that WB wouldn't slight it by including syndicated episodes.

3. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Thanks Robert; I've updated my review to include a link to your list.

Gord

4. Robert Cruz

One thing that still leaves me baffled is the fact that WB is releasing the DVD in mono. Season 2 (and Season 1 for that matter) aired in stereo. Although I can't really tell with the original versions I have, I can sure tell by the reruns that air on both WB 11 (New York), and [email protected] That is definitely an alteration worth finding out about...

In fact, listen to this:

End Credits recording

I recorded that from a season 1 episode that aired on WB 11. I did this around the time season 1 was released on DVD, to make sure if season 1 was really mono, or if WB was just making it mono when it shouldn't be. This one is 100% stereo, I can tell you that...

5. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

From SitcomsOnline's review of season 3:

Is this the syndicated version?

6. Robert Cruz

Sorry for not posting the info for that episode earlier. I had to dig through the collection to find "Bundle of Joy". I had 2...one from a TBS taping (something I taped by accident, but didn't bother to tape over), and one from the original airing...both of them clocked in at around 20:40 (give or take a few seconds), so it's safe. Normally, the syndicated episodes run around 21:30-22:00, so they didn't have to worry about editing anything out of "Bundle of Joy", due to the extremely shorter-than-usual length.

From what it seems, WB is on a so far, so good pace with Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. All episodes seem to be uncut...especially the much-worryful short-length episodes (Fresh Prince has a bunch of those, as you've already noticed).

Seasons 4-6 each have an hour-long episode (season 6 has 2 of them), so let's hope WB includes them in their original format. I don't see why they wouldn't though...season 1 had an hour-long episode, and WB included that with no problems.

7. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Excellent, thank you. I completely agree; WB has done a fantastic job with these releases (at least in terms of the episode presentation).

8. Wezzo

Wezzo Second Unit

I too am pleased with WB's presentation of the show, so far, though with reservations (No commentaries? No episode synopses in the S3 set for some reason?). I'm hoping we'll see at least season 4 released later this year.. it's one of my favourite shows too, I can't wait to have the entire collection!

Any idea why Bundle of Joy was so much shorter?