What's new

'Beetlejuice' arriving on Blu-ray, 9/16/08 (1 Viewer)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Warner Home Video have announced the US Blu-ray Disc release of Beetlejuice (20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) on 16th September 2008 priced at $34.99 SRP. The colourful, wildly imaginative family adventure from Tim Burton starring Michael Keaton, Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis and Winona Ryder debuts on Blu-ray, newly remastered and packaged in a lenticular o-sleeve. Extras are somewhat limited however with only three Beetlejuice cartoons from the TV series which was produced by Burton and David Geffen.

Beetlejuice Cartoon Episodes:
A-Ha
Skeletons In The Closet
Spooky Boo-tique

The Blu-ray will also include a soundtrack sampler CD.

This news arrives via DVD Times. Link below:

DVD Times - Beetlejuice (US BD) in September

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Great to have the film on BD, but they can keep those extras.

If Warner had some chutzpah, they would name this release:

Beetlejuice: the "NICE F**KING MODEL!" Edition :)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
That's very light on extras, shame Warner can't pull more out the bag for this release but to own it on Blu-ray Disc will be pretty cool anyway.

Hope it's got a good transfer. :emoji_thumbsup:

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I'm totally underwhelmed by the bonus features. Hasn't this film's cult status earned a full-blown special edition yet?

The soundtrack sampler is rather insulting, considering the DVD had an isolated score track!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I'm very exicted to see a Blu-ray Disc release of Beetlejuice however light on the extras it may be because the DVD is nigh unwatchable.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I didn't think it looked that bad. It fell short on the bonus materials (like most Warners in those days). Too bad the bonus features on the new one are only three episodes of the cartoon series. I had hoped for audio commentaries, a big making of and some improvisational stuff from Michael Keaton cut from the movie, and a bit more. This is disappointing.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
It seems with every Blu-ray release announcement, we have several stop by and whine about not enough extras. It doesn't include the entire soundtrack on a CD, and that is bad? The market for Blu-ray is small and the market wanting to pay for a high cost release, including everything possible in the way of extras is miniscule. Make the best quality, video and audio, and offer the release at the best price is the only product that will sell well. A premium cost deluxe edition sure won't sell much and if that is all that is released, the result is another release that won't sell in quantities justifying the effort. If the whining is that Warner won't offer everything possbile in extras and allow us to find it at the usual $15 Warner catalog price, I understand why that can't happen every time. I am a fan of the movie and look forward to this release.

Chris

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

I agree with you, Chris. Warner has a fine track record with their hi-def releases. I'm more than willing to cut them some slack. They could include everything but the kitchen sink, and somebody would carp about it.

The title doesn't come to mind, as being one that's up for a major effort special edition, especially when you consider all the titles that will no doubt be entering the pipeline during the coming year.

In addition, it's not unheard of, for added features to be announced before the release date rolls around. There's plenty of time until the middle of September.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I don't think that this particular title/scenario fits into the classic mold that you refer to, and about that general practice, I agree with you. This situation isn't the same as Fox's, by now notorious routine, where the extras already exist but are excluded. Neither is 'Beetlejuice' a flagship title that is long overdue for a special edition, and which is being released bare-bones, ahead of the anticipated full treatment. Every title and scenario should be looked at individually. In this regard, I don't think Warner is scheming a double-dip.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I can understand if something like the transfer or audio was screwed up and I can somewhat understand if the BD gets shafted of bonus material found on the DVD. But I'm amazed when there are people would pass up a favorite film of theirs because in their mind there's not enough bonus features.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Me, I enjoyed the film enough to pick this up and the fact that this'll be by far the best it's ever looked on home video is usually enough for me. It does seem a little light on bonus material but I don't know what people expect for extras on this (it's not like this is LOA, The Godfather, Blade Runner, LOTR) plus I read somewhere that Burton doesn't like to do commentaries and you can tell because they tend to suck.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
The original DVD had:

- A music-only audio track
- Text-based production notes
- Theatrical trailer

I'm slightly annoyed, but I can understand them not wanting to do the audio track thing. A redux with Danny Elfman commentary between the music would be nice though. A Tim Burton commentary would be even better!

I don't think too many people care about the production notes. People can read those in the booklet anyway.

The trailer? Come on, I hope they include at least that.

I'm glad, in spite of all of this, that we're getting a video re-master. The original DVD had odd electronic image issues, specifically in the "covered bridge" scenes.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Don't count on it. Warner has already issued the press release and the only extra content listed is the 3 TV episodes, soundtrack sampler and a booklet - all of which were already known. If the PR doesn't list anything else, I would be shocked if there is more.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

What press release? Where are the final specs? The current undefined status is common. Added specs and content are common. The middle of September is a long time off.

Okay...never mind. I found the press release. Still, it's common for stuff to get added between the press announcement and the street date. Guess we'll see.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
Seems i was close to the mark... This from The Digital Bits:

...Warner's Beetlejuice: 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (due 9/16).

Speaking of which, we've got some details for you on Beetlejuice as well. The DVD (SRP $19.96) will feature the film fully remastered in anamorphic widescreen video, and will include Danny Elfman's score as a music-only track, the film's theatrical trailer and 3 episodes of the Beetlejuice animated series (A-Ha, Skeletons in the Closet and Spooky Boo-tique). The Blu-ray (SRP $34.99) will include all of the same, with video in 1080p high-def and audio in Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
So instead of the soundtrack sampler it'll carry over the Isolated Score track? If so, then purchased!
Was wishing it'd have a bit more documentaries and stuff about the making of the film. Even about the special effects and related. Was hoping WB would've gone all out instead of just putting three episodes of the Beetlejuice animooted series on it. I mean I'm eager to buy the animated series but the film should've had film related only material on it. Eh, it'll have to make do for now.
Still good though and a low MSRP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericjonathan
Recent bookmarks