What's new

Beetlejuice 25th Anniversary Edition? (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
https://beetlejuice30th.com/

Warner Bros. is doing a moderate re-release of the movie in a handful of theaters this month. I just saw it here this afternoon for the first time (yes, really) and I thought it was fantastic. I'm not sure if they did any kind of restoration work on it, but it looked great.

I then came home and popped in my Blu-ray (I had sort of forgotten I had it, since it came in a box set with other movies and I bought the set for the other titles, which I haven't played in a while.) It seemed to me on looking at the Blu-ray that the print this afternoon seemed to have sharper colors, but I might just be convincing myself of that, or maybe it was the noticeable difference between seeing the movie on the largest screen in my local theater vs. on my TV.

In any case, I was grateful to be able to have my first experience of the film be on the big screen with an appreciative crowd of people (it was almost full, but I do think it's a bit odd that a theatrical re-release is not being followed by a Blu-ray re-release.

There is the Beetlejuice Broadway musical coming from Warner Bros' theatrical division, which is currently having its out-of-town trryout in Washington, D.C. through November 18, followed by a Broadway bow in March. Since they're missing out on a 30th anniversary disc release, perhaps they could do it next year at some point and include some behind-the-scenes or promotional stuff for the Broadway run as well, since that's essentially free marketing to the show's core audience of fans who already like the movie.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They've been trying to make a film sequel for years, but can never seem to get it off the ground. Supposedly Tim Burton wants to do it, and they hired a new scriptwriter a year ago, but I haven't heard anything since.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
If WB is stopping the sequel from getting off the ground, dump them for another studio that will produce an/or distribute the film. If WB throws a fit, let them have international distribution.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think WB is the issue. They are behind the incoming Broadway musical and have no problem using the property for that, so why would they mind a sequel?

See here: the Warner Bros. logo is clearly part of the advertising for the show, which they are doing. So...yeah, I don't think WB would object to a sequel at all.

It's just one of those things where the script takes a long time to get where everyone wants it, and Keaton and Burton are busy people, so the script has to be right and then they have to find time when they're both free to shoot the thing.

This is the newest update on the sequel I could find in a quick web search, and it is from last year, so thar's not too long ago. https://deadline.com/2017/10/beetlejuice-2-new-writer-mike-vukadinovich-warner-bros-tim-burton-1202184970/

Personally, I'm fine with it taking a long time. I don't want to see something that's less good than the one I saw yesterday, so they've got to make sure it's great or not do it. Burton himself has said before that he doesn't have a great track record with sequels, I think, although I can't remember where I read that.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
No one wants a a sub-par sequel, especially if it's to one of most iconic 80's comedies of all time. Burton is always busy, but I haven't heard that Michael is doing any films at the given time.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Burton is always busy, but I haven't heard that Michael is doing any films at the given time.

Keaton is in Burton's remake of Dumbo which opens in March, and word is he also reprised his Vulture role for Spider-Man: Far From Home, so he's been working lately. He's had quite a resurgence in the last few years since Birdman. The Founder....Homecoming...etc. He's also the voice of Ken in Toy Story 3, so it might not be out of the question that he's working on Toy Story 4, although that hasn't been confirmed, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think WB is the issue. They are behind the incoming Broadway musical and have no problem using the property for that, so why would they mind a sequel?
Off-topic, but Sophia Anne Caruso is absolutely brilliant casting as Lydia in the musical. Hope I get a chance to see what she does with the role.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I remember reading about a making-of doc being made for this year's 30th anniversary called "Documentary for the Recently Deceased". Don't know what the status on it is.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I remember reading about a making-of doc being made for this year's 30th anniversary called "Documentary for the Recently Deceased". Don't know what the status on it is.

The documentary is getting ready to start it's second campaign. Here is the brand new poster that was revealed two days ago.

Dq4AVkCXQAUHZ3q.jpg:large

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks