What's new

Beethoven boxed set - 60 CDs - for Euro 39 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I dunno. You're probably right.

But I've seen products' prices get lowered when a competing (better or more comprehensive) product gets introoduced into the marketplace.

If for no other reason than to draw consumers' eyes to the original product--which has happened here.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I guess my reply was as much to Cees' reaction to the new set coming out as it was to your comment about the price, though I didn't phrase it that way at all for some reason. I guess I don't quite get why he'd be upset that a new, more complete set had been released. It's completely different recordings so it isn't like they rereleased this set with 25 new discs plus the 60 old ones.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Chris,

You're right about it being a different set.
But part of the fun of buying a "complete set" at a bargain price is the fact that you didn't specifically want to buy each and every piece. There are very often some one doesn't love very much (or one is rather impartial about), but likes to have on a "complete set" - if the price isn't too high.

I must admit that the new set seems excellent, and unlike you, I certainly think that the recent lowering of the price on the US Amazon site has at least something to do with the upcoming new set.

(And yes, I may order the new set too.... :) )

Cees

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the price may have something to do with it, you're right. I just don't think that a new set in any way diminishes the value of the other one. Part of the fun in listening to classical music is collecting multiple versions of pieces and comparing and contrasting them.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Maybe, maybe not. Could be Sony decided to clear out their box knowing Brilliant Classics was about to release one that had more material. At this price point customers aren't going to be nitpicky about performances and brand name ensembles.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
That low price for the 60-disc set is tempting, but I'll wait till the Complete set is available States-side.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Van Beethoven is costing me serious money. I already paid €36 for the set you guys are now all ordering for half the amount. :frowning:
And now I felt compelled to order the new set from Amazon Ger. :frowning: :frowning:
So, in the end I will have paid just over €100 for almost every piece he wrote, performed twice, by different but excellent performers and with two different interpretations for each composition.
Worth it? You bet!

Will arrive in two or three days. :)

Cees

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Cees, please post your thoughts as soon as possible. I'm seriously considering ordering the new Complete set from Amazon.de - but would prefer Amazon.com offer it (and, hopefully, cheaper).

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
They haven't shipped mine either, I doubt I'll ever see it, unfortunately. I never pay extra for shipping from Amazon, because the "free" shipping always gets stuff to me in two or three days.

MarkRose

Grip
So why wouldn't you ever see it? I ordered on Sept 20, mine hasn't shipped yet but the order is still there--no cancellation, it says estimated shipping Oct 1-8 so I'm still in that time frame.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Same here -- I think my estimated ship date is 10/8. We'll see.

I have had one or two items ordered from Amazon in the past never show up when they changed from "backordered" to "discontinued."

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I checked the link and they no longer offer the set for sale..... :rolleyes

I too have ship date up to 8 October. I wonder what news Monday will bring.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's weird.
I'm away for a few days and they sell out completely. This thread must have many, many readers.

Didn't receive my new one yet. I hope it wasn't presented while we were away (4 days in the country-side).

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks