Beep or "pop" on Rotels ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

I listened to a Rotel 1055 today. As I would raise and lower the volume, I would hear an electronic beeping sound each time I pressed the volume button. Is this the infamous "pop" that some 1055/1066 users are complaining about? If not, can you turn that sound off?

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Hmm that's weird mine is silent...is the OSD turned on?

3. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I don't think it should do that. The popping that some people have complained about seems to occur when changing surround modes. My 1066 pops when I change from DD to DTS, but since you have to be in the menu when you change I don't find it a big deal. Also the popping on my 1066 is very slight, (no one seems to notice but me).
    You may want to have yours checked, [​IMG]

4. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

The Rotel dealer, for some reason or another, only had the 1055 connected in 2 channel stereo setup so there was no OSD to check out.

They didn't even have the 1066 connected at that.

Brent, is the slight popping sound you hear a electronic beep or does it sound like some sort electrical cracking as if you were connecting a CD player to a reciever while the reciever was on? I can deal with the beep but it is kind of stupid to alert people that they just press the volume button.

5. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Does it beep everytime you push any button, if so you can turn it off by pressing the clone button on the remote. No crackling just a simple pop. Again it is very slight, something I've never worried about. I have never noticed any noise when adjusting the volume.[​IMG]

6. Daniel Mai

Daniel Mai Stunt Coordinator

The beep is from the remote itself. Open the lower cover, at the bottom row center button with music symble/CLONE, press it, you'll notice the "music icon" on the lower right handside of your LCD screen disappear. Beep be gone [​IMG]
    Luckily, I have not heard the famous popping on my 1066. Although a bit bothered by the bass management problem.
    BTW, Andrew it's nice to be an unofficial member of Club Rotel - HTGuide is a very informative site for Rotel users. Thanks!

7. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

Daniel is right on! The beep can come from the remote. First thing I disabled when I got my Rotel.

Brent.
    My RSP-1066 never pop when I change the surround mode, or from DD to DTS. I know some units are doing this. Must be really annoying!

8. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Actually on mine it's not that bad, as I said it's very slight and only in the setup menu. To tell you the truth I may never have noticed if it hadn't been for that Damn Rotel Popping Thread over at HT Guide. [​IMG] I think some of those poor Outlaw 950 owners have more of a problem that we do. You know what?l I'm gonna go do some experimenting here right away and check it out again and give you guys an update.[​IMG]

9. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input.

I also noticed a hissing sound coming from the speakers connected to the 1055. At 7 -12 inches away from the speaker, with no music playing, I could hear the hiss. Is this common for the 1055/1066?

As a comparison, my rotel 1080 amp and rotel stereo preamp is dead silent.

10. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I have no hiss on mine. Try hooking up your 1080 to power your mains. As to the popping issue. [​IMG]