Been wondering about this.......

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Ed Moxley, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    I have a JVC RX8020VBX receiver. In order for me to add rear surround speaker(s), I need an amplifier between the speaker(s) and the receiver (to drive the speaker(s)). I have seen a powered center channel speaker at the pawn shop. Will it work as a REAR center speaker, or will I need an amplifier with a processor, to process the extra channel?
    Thx.

Just so you know my system is:
    JVC 36" tv
    JVC RX8020VBX receiver
    Panasonic DVD-A120U
    Hughes Dolby Digital satellite receiver
    Allison AL115 front speakers
    Pioneer ctr. and surr. speakers
    JBL PSW 1200 Subwoofer
    RCA VCR
    JVC CD, dual cassette

[​IMG]

2. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

I have no experience with powered speakers, other than a sub-woofer. However, I don't think it will work, unless the powered speaker has an RCA input jack on it (similar to subwoofers). I looked at the owner's manual for your model on-line at JVC, and it specifically showed the need for a power amp. On Page 7, it states "To fully enjoy Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES Extended Surround, you need to connect the surround back speakers through a power amplifier connected to the PRE-OUT SURR BACK jacks on the rear panel, using a cable with RCA pin plugs."

There is no Surround Back speaker level connection, only a PRE-OUT connection.

If the speaker only has connections for speaker wire, then I don't see how it would work. If it has an RCA input, then it just might.

Good luck.

3. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    I guess I'll have to go see what kind of outputs it has. I kinda know the guy at the store. Maybe he'll let me try it first........

I had read all that in my manual. Kinda upset me with JVC.
    Every other receiver I've seen with the dtsES and Dolby Digital EX logos on the front, had the amp built in, for the 6.1 or 7.1 speakers. I think it was misleading, in a way. The salesman really didn't know a lot.

Thx. for the answer. [​IMG]