What's new

Been offered a computer for $275 bucks (1 Viewer)

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
My current Compaq 4 gig comp isn't gonna cut it anymore. My friend built a computer that he doesn't use at all and wants to sell it to me for 275 bucks. He said I definitely won't find a better computer for cheaper because he built it himself, and I don't know much about technical computer talk.

Specs:

750mhz
AMD duron processer
256mb ram
56x cd drive
NIC card monitor
Keyboard
Windows XP Pro
USB Ports

Should I go for it? How much would this comp normally cost? He's a friend and wouldn't rip me off.

Rodon

Second Unit
Well - Heres what I think.
$275 is cheap.
You can price out the pieces for it at www.pricewatch.com.
It probably is cheap but teh problem is if you have $275 to spend on it - save some more money (double it) and then build yourself a computer.
You can do mych better in components but they will cost you.
IF you like it buy it I guess but weigh your options - a new one you build yourself will be much better - the friend can even help you build it and help you get good deals - Let him sell the computer to a family that needs a very basic computer really cheaply.
Just a few thoughts.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
It's cheap if you get a full XP Pro with the CD and all, else, pretty good, not great. I think if you go to tigerdirect.com and sniff around their BYO area, you can get more computer for your $275.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I'd beware of tigerdirect, i hear really bad stuff bout their reputation...

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Tigerdirect, I brought a Thinkpad from them and it was fine, as they do have clearance inventory from IBM from time to time, I know a lot of people that brought "just" discontinued Thinkpad models from them and in that respect, they are OK. The caveat is, like most deep discounters, do NOT expect their staff to know ANYTHING, when in doubt, do your homework first, know what you want and just get it. There is also a Tiger something that sells through Half.com I do not know if the two outfits are the same, but from user feedbacks, the one that sells through half.com is nothing but bad news.
BTW, Tigerdirect.com have a C3 650MHz (which is VIA's PIII) barebone kit, with case and a SOYO MOB, 128MB, for $89.95.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
$275 isn't a lot less than some of the Dell deals that come along. Right now, you can get two Dimension 4550's (1.8Ghz P4 w/512kb NetBurst L2 cache, 128mb DDR SDRAM, 48x CD-Rom, 30GB Ultra/ATA100 7200rpm HD, Integrated Audio, 32mb ATI Rage Ultra AGP card, Intel Pro 10/100 NIC, XP Home, 1 year warranty + 1 year onsite service)for $359 each after rebate. Sometimes, the units get below this in cost.

Take a look around, there are definitely some good computer deals to be had this holiday season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks