"Beef" with Amazon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottH, Apr 26, 2002.

1. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I probably order 90% of my DVDs/CDs from Amazon. Recently I've noticed on certain items they have a "Great Buy" where you can "Buy this item WITH another item". Well I went to order 'The Man Who Wasn't There' and saw that they had a deal to buy 'Mulholland Drive' with 'The Man Who Wasn't There' for $46.73. I thought, cool, I wanted to buy Mulholland Drive anyway, so if I can save a little money by buying both of them, I'll do it. I thought $46.73 seemed like a lot for two DVDs, so I did the math:

The Man Who Wasn't There (Bought by itself) - $20.99

Mulholland Drive (Bought by itself) - $25.74

Total - $46.73

I don't know if all of these "deals" are like this, but I did check a few others and found the same results. I know it's not a huge deal, but does anyone else think this is very deceptive? It definitely has me considering doing my online shopping elsewhere.

2. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

No offense, Scott. But I will never understand why people purchase their DVD's (or music) from Amazon. Their prices aren't even remotely competitive.

3. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    No offense taken. For me it's more of a convenience/selection factor. Any suggestions as to where I should purchase my CDs and DVDs?

4. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

CD's: Not always the best selection, but if they have what you are looking for there is no place cheaper. I've had excellent results with them. www.alldirect.com
    DVD's: There are too many to list here. I would also strongly suggest that you utilize www.dvdpricesearch.com before making any buying decisions.

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

6. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I usually start with DVD pricesearch, but I almost always end up at Deep Discount DVD . They have one of the highest vendor ratings, they usually offer the lowest total price on a DVD, with prompt knowledgable customer service. They usually ship out new releases by the Friday before release. The only problem I've ever had with them was the week delay in shipment of the new unedited Return of the Joker disc, but that was WBHV's fault and not DDD's.
    The Laser's Edge has great service, I don't use them for standard dvd purchases because their prices are usually more than DDD. I do use them for Adult dvd purchases, because their prices on adult dvds are some of the best I've seen on the web.