BEE GEES GREATEST HITS: THE RECORD...one good album not to be missed...anymore?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by YANG, Dec 25, 2001.

1. YANG

YANG Second Unit

Title: BEE GEES:THEIR GREATEST HITS:THE RECORD
    Catalogue# 589-400-2
    Releasing studio: POLYDOR RECORDS/U.M.G
    I know that this album had released for a certain period of time,and it is very late for me to add this release into my collections.I was stuck in a confusion at that time,should i go for the DTS DVD release of ONE NIGHT ONLY concert or should i go for the release of this album?
    I am glad that i had picked up this album,there are lots of songs that i hear for the first time,which are mostly from the first disc.Disc2 contains lots of familiar tunes which often appears in radio broadcasts.Except for new recording of EMOTION,HEARTBREAKER,ISLAND IN THE STREAM and IMMORTALITY.Frankly speaking,i prefer originals better.The new recordings may sound creative,especially better bass and ambience,originals still the best to me.
    Those who wants to throw a retro disco party,will find that they will be playing most of the tracks from disc2,which features lots of disco tunes.
    BEE GEES musics are not just about hard hip shaking,finger pointing tunes that may turn you into next JOHN TRAVOLTA,there are some light moments as well.Which you will find most of them in disc1.As i had pointed out,there are lots of familiar tunes in this album,which had even made it big into big screens.But we tend to forget about these tracks as movies are not played as frequently as radio broadcasts.Not to forget the credit of singers/groups of these tracks.
    This album is the best compilation to date that i have heard.Best recommended for all,including old time fans and starters. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Audio quality of this album is damn good,for most tracks which are more older than 15yrs.There are some good lows which will bring out the disco mood in you.Several tracks are good enough to give your speakers some workout.This release that i had bought,is HDCD encoded,which i am sure will be present in european release as well.Though bass quality and audio quality is good,there are some minor flaws,which i feel is forgivable given to age of most tracks.In some tracks,some vocal parts may sound harsh,listeners using headphones should be very careful with your volume.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is a damn good album not to be missed.The packaging may look simple,it may not attract the youngs with trance music interest,some will even turn their attention away from this album.
    Who's BEE GEES to the new generation?"Those BEE GEES musics are for older folks..."
    NO.NO.NO!!!Not for me.
    I hope that there will more to come...from UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP.Most importantly,without the copy protection which will make future releases unfriendly with DVDplayers.
    Is POLYDOR still holding rights to ABBA and CARPENTER albums?Hope that they will release compilation albums of these two groups as good as the BEE GEES GREATEST HITS.
    BRAVO! [​IMG] BRAVO! [​IMG] BRAVO! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Yang, thanks for posting your thoughts on the Bee Gees discs. I've been meaning to pick this one up here in the US. Regarding ABBA, there is a two-disc greatest hits compilation available in the US called The Definitive Collection, or something like that. I want to get that one also because the only ABBA disc I have is the old ABBA Gold compilation, which I find to be very harsh in certain parts. Some of the vocals are very harsh, and I am wondering if the newer compilation is better in that regard. Then again, maybe the original masters are harsh.

3. YANG

YANG Second Unit

KEITH,

The ABBA DEFINITIVE COLLECTION that you mentioned,what is the catalogue number?A how does it look from the outside?

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Yang, the ABBA two-disc set is called The Definitive Collection. Here is a link to it at amazon.com so you can see the album cover:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...214396-5435803
    You can click on the album cover to see a larger picture of it. Note that the above link has a song list. I just noticed that this release has an extended version of Voulez-Vous. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Yang, I hope you know that early issues of this CD set mistakenly includes an alternate version of "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart". Supposedly someone delivered the wrong master!

6. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Just got and I love it! Helps to reassert the BEE GEES as more than disco wonders. They really have quite a catalog of songs over a long period of time!

7. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

I bought the Japanese release which has 2 or 3 extra songs only for Japanese release.

8. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Tomoko, could you tell us what the bonus tracks are to that Japanese issue ???? Sounds like a better value.

Is ANYONE looking forward to picking up the "Live By Request" DVD set on Jan. 1 ?

I have the Japanese "Keppel Road" 2VCD set, and the latest US biographical DVD released but NOT the "One Night Live" set. They are All interesting and well put together.

9. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

I picked up the BeeGees collection over the holidays. It has two disc one's in it, and no disc two!!!

10. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

John, Did you play the discs to make sure...maybe you have a collectors item !