Bedroom TV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark:F, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

Please advise, what's the best HDTV monitor for the bedroom?
    Need 16:9, light weight, 30" or less, good reception of SDTV, decent sound would be a bonus.
    View is straight on, apx 8-10', most viewing is at night.
    I have 2 Sony CRT HDTVs, love 'em, but can't do it 3 floors up! Would like to be under $1,000.

2. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I liked the picture on my 26" samsung the best of all the screens I saw in that size except the sony, which was significantly more expensive. Pics here

It's a secondary tv, and we needed flat screen to save space, so I was ready to accept a lesser picture than I would in another application. You have a ton of choices if you don't want the ATSC tuner built in -- Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, LG, Westinghouse -- all LCD as plasma isn't an option until 37", I don't think. I'm ok with the picture, but lcd is certainly prone to what I guess is macroblocking, or video noise with a poor signal like SD. It's ok with SD pictures, but not great. I think it's very useable, but it's definitely not something that I would use to show off. The picture does look very good with dvd or HD programming.

3. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

"...best?..." too hard to say, too many potential ways to measure it and too many sets. You might want to search out comparative reviews on the net. Consumer's Reports has info on their tests as well.

In general, Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba all have done consistently well in the TV market. We've been very happy with a Toshiba 27" LCD.

4. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. To try to narrow it down, I don't need a tuner built-in, SDTV quality is an issue. Dick, which model Toshiba do you have? Charlie, if you could have gone for the best picture, what did you like?
    Wondering if I'll need another high end Sony?

5. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

The Tosh model number may not be standard because its one they sold through Costco, but its 27HLV95 I think -- can't see behind it very well.

6. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    We've been more than happy with our Westinghouse 32" LCD...we bought it as a bedroom TV. SD via Directivo looks great.

BB usually puts it on sale every couple of weeks...usually for around $899-999.

We got ours there for $999 plus a free DVD recorder.

[​IMG]

7. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I preferred the Sony, but wasn't going to spend the money for a bedroom tv, so I didn't consider it for long. Most of my decision came down to the Toshiba and the Samsung and I preferred the Samsung. My main concern was seeing for myself what Samsung's Dnie processing looked like. There are many complaints about it and I wanted to see if it bothered me as much as it seemed to bother others. It didn't.