Bedroom system--$1000 for receiver and L/R or L/C/R

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Reckelhoff, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Kevin Reckelhoff

Kevin Reckelhoff Stunt Coordinator

Yet another request for recommendations--I've done several searches and gathered some great info, but I figured lots of people enjoy the opportunity to talk about what works for them [​IMG]
    For space reasons, I'm only looking at bookshelfs and only for front speakers. I do have a sub, but surrounds are physically not an option. I am undecided about whether I want a center channel though.
    My main system runs through a Denon 3802 that I love, so my initial receiver thought is a 1603 or an 1803. Other thoughts are Marantz, H/K, or Onkyo.
    For speakers, I've seen lots of votes for JBL and Paradigm. Energy and Axiom seem to come up regularly as well. It's a little harder to nail down specific models that fit my price range though, so all suggestions appreciated!
    Kevin

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Kevin: How big is your bedroom? A Denon 1803 is rather ambitious a receiver to be relegated to bedroom duty. Don't laugh, but have you considered an HTIB setup for a small room? JB

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If you went with a Denon 1803, JBL S38 mains, and a S-Center, you would still have room in your budget to add a Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer. This would make a great bedroom setup. It would be a little better than my main setup, other than the lack of surrounds.

That said, for a bedroom setup, the JBL Northridge series might be a little more reasonable. Your could pick up a NSP1 package and a WM40 sub, along with an 1803, for around $800. Or you could get N26 or N28 mains, an N Center, N24 surrounds, a WM40 sub, and an 1803 for around $900.

Hope this helps.

4. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

What sub do you already have, if I may ask?

How about the 1603 and the new Monitor Audio Bronze bookshelves and center.

5. Kevin Reckelhoff

Kevin Reckelhoff Stunt Coordinator

Jack, the room is ~12'x14'. To be honest, I haven't researched the receivers in a lot of detail. There's a ton of them between $400 and $500 and they all seem pretty similar. Is the main difference between the 1603 and 1803 the lack of component inputs on the 1603? The problem with HTIB is that I really have no place for the surround speakers without a massive overhaul/rearranging of the existing furniture. Even then, I'd have some serious issues with the speaker wire runs. I have permission to run wires as I see fit in the main room, but I don't think I'll get the same leeway in the bedroom too[​IMG]
    Stephen, thanks for the specifics on the JBL sets.
    Brian, the "extra" sub is a Mirage FRxS8. The plan is to replace it with an SVS in my main system. It should be enough to satisfy me in a smaller system. The bedroom is pretty low volume anyway. I hadn't heard about Monitor Audio before, I'll look into it.