"Bedroom" direct view sets that do 16:9 "squeeze" V-compression

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Yadsko, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Ryan Yadsko

Ryan Yadsko Auditioning

Hi all,

I'm about to move into an apartment and would like a smaller size set for my bedroom that will do a 16:9 anamorphic "squeeze" for anamorphic DVDs. I'd like to stay 27 inches or under. Does anyone know of a definitive list of models that support this V-compression, besides the Sony Wega series?

Also, it would probably have to be a flat tube, or at least not very bulbous. Component inputs are a must.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Theron Shaffer

I know the Panasonic Tau does it through auto detection, not a manual selection....but still does a good job displaying widescreen content. I am not sure if that is available in 27, or if 32" is the smallest.

3. NathanS

NathanS Agent

I just got the 27" Akai flat screen from Sam’s Club for $350. It does the squeeze from the remote, and the picture is amazing.

Also it's a rebadged Samsung, so quality isn't a problem.

4. Ryan Yadsko

Ryan Yadsko Auditioning

Thanks for the input, I took a look at the Akai at Sam's Club and may go for it soon. It definitely appears to be a rebadged Samsung DynaFlat 27". Anybody with input on that set?