What's new

Bed Mattress Suggestions Please (1 Viewer)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Looking to purchase new Queen set for us and possibly a Twin set for our daughter tonight...
any suggestions on which mattress/box spring sets we should put on our short list?

I understand much like speakers, purchasing a mattress is pretty subjective but I'd like to hear from owners who really like their bed for durability, comfort and most importantly... a good night's sleep.

Thanks,
Brian

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Sealy has their own store called "The Mattress Firm". I bought mine there and was quite happy with it. They have good price matching and return policies. Plus you get your's straight from the Sealy warehouse, mine were like two days old when they were delivered. I bought two beds at once, one for me and one for the guest room, and got a bit knocked off the second.

Its hard to give suggestions because model names change frequently and vary from store to store. Sealy claims they do this to track the mattresses for warranty purposes.

I bought a higher end Sealy brand (Sealy owns other brands also) with a silk blend pillow top. It has a ten or fifteen year warranty which is extended by five years by buying at "The Mattress Firm". This model doesn't require rotating or flipping. I've been very pleased with it.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Thanks Keith, I appreciate the quick reply.

The main brand names I keep on hearing are Sealy, Simmons and Serta.

Sealy and Simmons seem to be regarded as the "better" brands by most consumers.

There are quite a feew mattress stores near by so I guess we'll just have to try out a bunch and go from there.

Brian

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I've got a Spring-air (no its not an air mattress) and it is absolutely wonderful. Got it at Foleys department store. I tend to avoid the dedicated matress stores after hearing horror stories about them. I looked at the department stores when I shopped. They are ALWAYS having sales though. I got 20% off, free shipping and free frame when I bought mine a few years ago.

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
I won't advise on brand or model as that is truly subjective. I will offer one bit of advice on purchasing and this depends entirely on your haggling threshold. The various mail order companies, and I hope you have a few that serve your area, such as 1-800-mattres, 1-800 sleepys and 1800 kleinsleep will essentially outbid each other continously. The big "game" with mattresses is that the same model is named differently at different outlets and with slight variations to make comparison shopping next to impossible. e.g. the Sealy "majestic" is only available at Bloomies, the Sealy "Monarch" only at Macy's, the "Mighty" at Kleinsleep, etc etc, but they are all the SAME mattress.

When you decide on one, contact one outlet, tell them what you like, and see what their equivalent is. Then call the next. You can essentially keep calling between the companies having them out-bid each other almost ad-infinitum. I got my $900 Queen set for 425 by calling between 1800mattres and Sleepys 4 times. I stopped when I got too embarrassed to go on. YMMV

Good shopping

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
We've been enjoying our Sealy Posturepedic for just over six years now. It's held up quite well, considering all the, uh ... sleeping we've done.:D
We got the Plush Comfort line. As Stephen said, it's named differently depending on the store, but the "Plush Comfort" tagline underneath should give it away.
It's actually available at Costco for a decent price.

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with Mike. I bought a Spring Air about 3 years ago. I tested Simmons and Sealy at the same time, but I found the Spring Air to be the most comfortable. It was cheaper than both to boot.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Dude, stay away from all the designer mattresses, yeah their good, but your paying for the name.

The best mattress/box spring setup i have ever owned came from the Denver Mattress Company. Look and see if theres one in your city and go in for a look.

I think i paid just about $400 for a queen/box setup!
Very confortable with a great warranty.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
We got a serta last year, and have been very pleased with it. The one thing you gotta watch out for is those mattress salespeople are worse than used-car dealership. They constantly badmouth the store down the road, accuse them of rebagging, credit fraud, etc. Just keep playing them against each other and you can get a great deal.

If you've got the room for it, I'd look at a king size. My wife and I shared a double for the first 5 years of our marriage, and a queen didn't really seem all that different. The king rules; you have plenty of room to stretch out. Probably the best (and only) good piece of advice the salesman had was "you're going to be spending 1/4-1/3 of your life on a bed, so you might as well keep looking until you find one you really like".

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Thanks for all the replies.

We went out last night and found a bed we liked.
It was a Sealy Posturpedic "******" Plush mattress which the sales guy told me he'd "give" it to me for his "burn-out" price of $599.99 for a queen set.
It's about what we expected to pay and he mentioned that that price included delivery, set-up and removal of our old set. Which isn't a bad deal IMO. This particular mattress also has a 10 year warranty so we'll do a little more shopping but I think we found a winner.

My daughter preferred a Spring Air model from the local Boscov's Dept store.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks