Becky Sharp

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Drew Salzan, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan Second Unit

I was browsing through the future releases section of Amazon and noticed that Becky Sharp will be coming out the end of June. While the film is awful, it is notable as the first full length 3 strip Technicolor feature and visually is quite interesting to me. At $6.99, could this possibly be the restored version done in the 1990's? Something tells me that it is probably mastered from a public domain copy (grainy, faded color and just plain unwatchable). If anyone has any information, please respond.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Becky Sharp isn't a masterpiece, but it's still a very good movie.

I think the restored edition would be released through Image since the Walter Wanger/Ingrid Bergman version of Joan of Arc was.

I'd love to see the film in a proper transfer... even TCM has to show a PAL-converted master of the restoration that has too much saturation.

3. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I believe the Becky Sharp June release is a public domain version courtesy of Alpha video.

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I have never seen this film from start to finish (I couldn't sit through TCM's master), but for its being the first 3-strip Technicolor feature it merits a properly mastered DVD. Too bad a new print couldn't be made when Technicolor brought back their dye-transfer facility.

But restoring the film has been an undertaking. If I recall correctly, bits and pieces of the negative were in different places, and UCLA (who restored the film) had to use a Dutch-subtitled print for some parts.

Go here for more info:

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/oldc...ckycompare.htm