Beck's SEA CHANGE: has he been body-snatched...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rachael B, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    ...by the ghoust of Nick Drake? Lovely album but he really reminds me of the late Nick Drake now that I've heard this new offering.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

3. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Nick Drake is one of the many over-tones I noticed. I also heard a heavy dose of Gordon Lightfoot. I love the album immensely despite the fact I hear Beck's huge music collection and/or influences in the mix.

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I've long been a fan of Beck, but SEA CHANGE has made me a super-fan! Though different stylistically, thematically it makes me think of Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks". And, of course, the production sounds a lot like Radiohead (no surprise - same producer). My favorite songs are "The Golden Age", "Paper Tiger"(!), "It's All In Your Mind", "Little One"(!), "Side of the Road". It's all great stuff.

I waited until the SACD came out to purchase it... and I love the multichannel mix so much, that I haven't even listened to the two-channel one!

I wonder if he'll reinsert tongue-in-cheek for his next release? I really hope we've not heard the last of "sincere Beck".

5. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I too had heard the Gordo influence. Maybe Roy Harper too (see Stormcock).

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    After listening some more I too started feeling Gordon Lightfoot's influence, and ya'all beat me to posting that. I really like artists who morph and evolve instead of wearing out their style. So, I'm likig Beck more than I used to. Maybe Dylan is aanother influence?

7. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

I used to not like Beck, but damn if he hasn't evolved into an artist I greatly admire. I can't stop listening to Sea Change. Of all the people who have ever been labeled "The Next Dylan," I feel he may actually come the closest to actually filling those shoes. Like Dylan, he never rests on his laurels and never stays in one place for too long. I hope he keeps following his heart, keeps up the excellent work, and keeps his listeners guessing what he might do next. [​IMG]