What's new

Beck - Sea Change ? (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Has anyone heard any tracks from this CD? It's coming out on the 24th of September. I was just reading Rolling Stone's review and the gave it :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
They say that it's his best album ever..
"As a young folk singer at the turn of the Nineties, Beck set out to be his own Dylan. With Sea Change, he has made it the hard way, creating an impeccable album of truth and light from the end of love. This is his Blood on the Tracks.
"
Sounds pretty interesting.

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
I've been listening to this for about a month now, and I'm still floored by it. Definitely his best work (and in my top 5 for the year, so far), but anyone expecting a good time, as in Midnight Vultures or Odelay, will probably be disappointed. It's somber and soulful, and like almost nothing he's done before.

Personally, I think he owes a lot to Gordon Lightfoot and Serge Gainsbourg more than Dylan, but I can see where that reviewer would get the Dylan connection.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
After I posted the starting message, I went over the Beck site to see if they had any tracks available. Much to my suprise, they let you listen to the entire album if you register with them. I'm giving it a whirl right now..

JohnE

Supporting Actor
I've been listening for a few weeks as well, and like Tony I'm floored. I would not have guessed in a million years this was Beck. I have not been a fan of Beck in the past but I haven't been able to get the songs on this cd out of my head. Good stuff.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Every review I have read have given this one atleast 4 out of 5 stars...I will be buying this one as well.

Beck started out as a young punk type but has proven to be quite the talented tunesmith...the guy has some serious talent.

Miles

Second Unit
I thought I read here there may be some Beck SACDs coming out. Does anyone have any release dates?

Miles

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Well I like all of the Beck albums that I own, so I'll definitely be picking this up.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I've always preferred the more somber "Mutations" (my favorite Beck album) to the campus philosopher of "Mellow Gold" (who went on a cross-country road trip and to a European discotheque for "Odelay" and "MV", respectively).
I'm really excited to hear all the comments about "Sea Change". All other things considered (like the obsessive lyric-quoting and subsequent meaning-assignment) I was surprised how much the Rolling Stone critic seemed to reflect my taste. I'll definitely be picking it up "sound unheard" next week.
~Steve

Miles

Second Unit
I took a listen to this disc today... amazing... This will definately be a purchase if released on SACD!!!

Miles

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I have this on advance order. I think Beck always amazes and is a true original. The man is brilliant and I feel is a lot deeper than some other current artists. He just seems to have an endless bag of tricks and you get the feeling he always has something special on deck. I can't wait for this release.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
OK. Now I'm excited! I Pre-ordered this from Amazon what seems like forever ago. The good buzz makes me a happy man. I listened to nothing but Mutations for like 6 months when it came out.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
This is a beautiful, haunting album. Shades of Gordon Lightfoot, whispers of Neil Young, and it's definitely still Beck. A must-buy, and one of the best albums of the young decade. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Wow!! I have only listened to the album one time thus far but man is this good stuff. On the first track you would be hard pressed to guess it was Beck. That song is very different than anything he has done before. As is much of the album. If you would have told me that the slacker dude singing the song "Loser" (which I hated) back in the 90's was capable of releasing an album of this magnitude I would have told you that you were out of your mind. Well...this just in...the guy is a serious musical talent.

This one is gonna be hard to keep out of my Top 10 for 2002.

Get this album!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i've had a chance to listen to a few tracks off this album.

initial impression was not good. but i must admit that i only briefly auditioned the songs.

i'm going to give it a good try this weekend and make up my mind for sure.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
This is a beautiful, haunting album. Shades of Gordon Lightfoot,
Jan, great call. That was my first impression upon my first listening. I love Gordy, and so far I love this album very much. A very different Beck, but IMO, his best work. I'll add more comments, upon furthur listenings.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I liked this album, although I was hoping for a few funky Midnite Vultures tunes. With this big a change to the blues, it is probably better that did not happen. It would have been cool if a "happy" album was released simultaneously.
The guitar work and lyrics are very strong and very beautiful in places. Decidedly less commercial but in a musical way, unlike the Pete Gabriel album which left me cold. Its a decent recording also. I'm looking forward to hearing Beck in Super Audio.
I think this kid is very talented. :)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Chalk up another impressed Beck fan.

Agree with most of the comments above.

I wonder if his next album will be wild and wooly. Its sort of becoming the standard pattern with him.

And Beck has a lot of good songs that are not easy to find, b sides and rarities. When Napster was active I was able to get a hold of them, and on the strength of those I have purchased 3 Beck CDs now and counting.

Truly a case of the availabilty of hard to find stuff leading me to the store to purchase the wide releases.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Despite some of the criticism that the painful, depressing tracks on this album don't come across emotionally - I really love the album. I am a big fan of Mutations (even more so than Odelay) and even if this is along the same lines as Mutations I enjoyed the CD a lot. A very mellow beck, beautiful acoustic tracks - highly recommended.

On a side note, a friend of mine in Australia told me there are 4 versions out there with varying cover art (all slight variations of the usual US cover art) - is this something only available overseas? I haven't seen any alternative art here in the US.

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen the various covers in stores around here. Shouldn't be too hard to find. Great album.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks