Beavis and Butthead

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LarryDavenport, Oct 2, 2002.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

According to The Digital Bits, Paramount said (in response as to why the 32 episode collection was not released as planned):

"The box set is delayed because we have decided to explore a new mix of B&B content with MTV and the show's creators. We do not have a release date set for this new material."

Does anyone else smell a series of "Best of"s coming out instead?

2. Michael Gilliam

More like last minute legal issues. But they cover it so well with their "new mix" idea....

3. eric holm

eric holm Stunt Coordinator

Most likely the legal issues...

But could they be instead discussing the music videos? I have no idea if MTV buys the rights to the videos or how that stuff works.

4. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

The music videos is what made the show so much funnier. I can't see it being to hard to get permision from some of the bands to use the videos. Most have absolutely no careers now. [​IMG]

6. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Even if they cant get the videos, PLEASE release them by Season.
    I HATE Best Of sets.

7. Eugene Esterly

8. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Some might be okay with having their videos used...The Bee Gees and Bananarama got good marks from Beavis & Butt-Head. On the other hand, I don't think Kip Winger wants to be immortalized on DVD in the way he was crucified throughout the show's run.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

B&B's comments on Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" need to be put on disc, though.

9. Viktor Lundberg

"It is in these hills that Juan Valdez and his trusty goat gather coffee beans every morning...."
    This line cracked me up more than any cartoon ever has [​IMG]
    Viktor A Lundberg

10. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

11. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

Music Videos, A Must.

One of my favorites was when the Milli Vannilli video came on, they looked at each other, and then the channel changed.

Classic stuff.

12. TedT

TedT Second Unit

13. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

I saw the History of BNB. It really does suck.. Without the inclusion of the video commentaries, it's just 2 -4 minutes of mindless dribble that gets old after a few episodes (i.e. 15 minutes later).

People that are paying > $100 on e-Bay will feel really ripped off and this is coming from a BnB fan nonetheless.

14. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

To get the videos they'd typically have to get permission from the record labels, not the individual bands.

15. Eugene Esterly

Actually, IMO, it probaly wouldn't take too much to put the first season of B&B onto DVD. According to the episode guides at http://batcomputer.batcave.net/bnbguide.html & http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...417/season-all
    , the first season of B&B was only 4 episodes which are:
    Blood Drive
    Door-To-Door
    Sign Here
    Balloon
    Paramount/MTV/Viacom. Please put the first season of B&B on DVD with music videos & uncut episodes (some B&b episodes were edited for TV, also put the edited episodes on the DVD). Also put B&B cartoons from Liquid Television (all versions, I have heard that there are unedited & edited versions of the B&B Liquid Televison cartoons). Commentary from Mike Judge would be great & other extras.
    Paramount/MTV/Viacom, I would pay any price to have B&B on DVD in season-by-season format with music videos & uncut episodes & extras such as commentary from Mike Judge.

16. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

Someone should start a petition.

17. Eugene Esterly

18. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

I want this as much as everybody else. But I think we need to recognize that it's not happening anytime soon. MTV at that time I think essentially had the same deal for video that radio stations have for singles -- that they could play them anytime. So, MTV could play the videos on B & B with no problem when it was being aired on the network. No big deal. It *doesn't* mean that they can resell them on video, anymore than your local FM station can sell a tape of one of their DJs that includes the songs they play.

Rights to air -- complementary through industry practice. Rights to sell -- not contemplated in the contract, would have to be individually negotiated with each record company and maybe some bands themselves, would have to be paid for at a price mutually agreed upon. Most of those bands are so obscure they're back working at the local 7-11, so the odds of them selling cheap are about nil if they think they can hold a Paramount video release hostage for some cash.