What's new

Beauty and the Beast News! (1 Viewer)

Daniel Schenk

Stunt Coordinator
This is from Videobusiness.com :
As part of last week's sales presentation unveiling its 2002 slate to retailers in Anaheim, Calif., Buena Vista also said it will release Beauty and the Beast for the first time on DVD. The title arrives Oct. 8 (prebook Aug. 27) as a two-disc Platinum edition with three versions of the film and an "experiential" extra that takes DVD users into the film to interact with characters.
And it continues:
The three film versions on the Beauty and the Beast DVD (VHS $24.99, DVD $29.99) are the original 1991 theatrical release, the version recently released in large-format theaters with the new song "Human Again" and a third "work-in-progress" edition with penciled animation that was shown at the 1991 New York Film Festival.
The title will be available for a limited time before going on moratorium.
On the DVD, viewers are brought into the story line via specially created character interactions and activities, including being transported into Belle's library to communicate with characters.
Other interactive extras include a karaoke sing-along track on the film and games, including a contest in which Mrs. Potts tells users which characters they most resemble.
I`m so happy!:D

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see that the "work in progress" version will finally be available on DVD. I have it on laser and it is a great lesson in the art of animation (hand drawn, particularly).

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm also glad the "Work In Progress" is being released. A known rotter on laserdisc.

Mike

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Work in Progress pencil print. YES!!!! This was THE "killer app" that made me want a Laserdisc player back in the day. I can't wait to own this. Disney is doing this title RIGHT. All three existing versions!!!! Much better than killing the original when a special edition is made.
I am quite happy with the SE version too though :). The Imax rerelease is great.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Even though my first-pressing "Work in Progress" laserdisc is rot-free, I eagerly await this set. This is perhaps my favorite Disney animated film.

A DTS track taken from the 6-track mix for 70mm would be cool.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I am so happy!! :D Oct 8th huh?! My birthday is on the 18th.
One of my top 5 disney animated flicks. The IMAX rerelease was incredible.
And I would kill for a DTS track on this.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I'll be picking this up. One of Disney's most colorful movies. The ballroom scene is beautiful.

DanR

Supporting Actor
I'll definitely be picking this up in October.

Am I right in remembering that I read somewhere:

The Lion King (2003)

Alladin (2004)

The swapped the years on the next two platinum titles, right?

Regards,

Dan

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

No official announcement has been made with regards to The Lion King and Alladin. However, The Lion King will be played at IMAX from January through April of 2003, much like Beauty and the Beast was this year. If this is establishing a firm pattern I think we'll see Lion King on DVD in late 2003 and Alladin at IMAX in January of 2004.

Anthony Liz

Stunt Coordinator
Disney's masterpiece BEAUTY AND THE BEAST: SPECIAL EDITION will be available for the first time ever on Disney DVD and video as a special "Platinum Edition" title from Walt Disney Home Entertainment.

The Disney DVD features three versions of the film: the Special Edition, with the all-new musical sequence, the Original Theatrical Edition, and the Work-In-Progress Edition, as shown at the 1991 New York Film Festival. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST: SPECIAL EDITION will be available October 8, 2002 for a limited time only. 2-disc DVD: $29.99 (S.R.P.).

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST SPECIAL EDITION DVD FEATURES

[*] The all-new "Experiential" DVD experience: this ingenious new approach to DVD dissolves the boundaries between fantasy and reality and transports the viewer into the enchanted worlds of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST[*] An all-new backstory of the movie is unveiled as the DVD user breaks the "enchanted spell."[*] 3-D environments transport you into the world of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST[*]Viewers communicate with characters and become part of the story[/list]DISC ONE:

THE VIEWER IS TRANSPORTED INTO THE STORY, AND BELLE'S PROVINCIAL FRENCH VILLAGE COMES ALIVE
[*] All-Digital Presentation Utilizing An All-New High Definition Transfer

for the DVD[*] Widescreen 1.66:1 Aspect Ratio, Enhanced for 16x9 Screens[*] Dolby(R) Digital 5.1 Surround Sound Newly Created For The 2002 Large Format

Release[*]THX Certified[*] French Language Track[*]Three Enchanted Versions of the Film

[*]Special Edition - Includes the all-new musical sequence "Human

Again"[*]Original Theatrical Edition - The animated film masterpiece audiences

around the world knowand love[*]Work In Progress Edition - As shown at the 1991 New York Film Festival[/list] [*]Audio Commentary From The Filmmakers[*]Karaoke/Sing-Along Track[*]Watch the film and sing along to all your favorite BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

songs as the words pop up on the screen[*]Maurice's Invention Workshop Game[*]Help Chip in Maurice's Workshop and begin a journey that continues on Disc

2 in which the viewer can break the spell andmake all the enchanted characters

human again

[/list][/list] DISC TWO:

ENTER THE ENCHANTED CASTLE AND EXPLORE ITS MANY SECRETS WITH VISITS TO FOUR DISTINCT CHARACTER WORLDS

MRS. POTTS - FUN FOR ALL AGES
[*]The Story Behind The Story - The viewer is transported into Belle's library

as celebrity hosts Celine Dion, James Earl Jones, David Ogden Stiers, Ming

Na, Angela Lansbury, Robby Benson, Page O'Hara and Jodi Benson share the stories

behind several of Disney's most beloved characters[*] A Tale As Old As Time - "Making of" featurette.[*]Character Profile Game- which character from the film do you most resemble?

Mrs. Potts will tell you[*]"Beauty And The Beast" Broadway Musical Featurette[/list] CHIP'S - PERFECT FOR THE YOUNGER ADVENTURER

[*] Disney's Animation Magic - Go backstage with the young stars of the Disney

Channel's hit show, "Even Stevens"[*]Chip's Musical Challenge Game - Test your memory and musical ability with

this all-new game. Plays in 5.1 Surround Sound.[*]"Beauty And The Beast" Music Video By Jump 5 - All-new musical

recording of the song "Beauty and the Beast" by pop sensation Jump

5[/list] WEST WING - THE FORBIDDEN WORLD

[*]"Break The Spell" Adventure Game - The game acts as a mini-movie

adventure in which the viewer must navigate through several levels of action

and magic. Reach the magic rose in time to break the enchanted spell and save

Beast and all the characters before it is too late and the last petal falls[/list] COGSWORTH AND LUMIERE - FOR THE ULTIMATE COLLECTOR & FILM FAN

[*] Bringing The Story To The Screen[*] Early Presentation Reel[*] Alternate Version: "Be Our Guest"[*]Alternate Score: The Transformation - Original Demo Recordings With Introduction

By Alan Menken[*]Designing Beauty And The Beast[*]Art & Design Gallery[*]The Characters[*]Character Galleries[*]Animating Beauty And The Beast[*]Pencil Version: The Transformation[*]Animation Tests[*]Setting The Stage[*]Layouts & Background Gallery[*]Tricks Of The Trade[*]Camera Move Test[*]Release & Reaction[*]Poster & Ad Design[*]Trailers & TV Spots[*]Large Screen Format Trailer[*]And More

[/list]

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
This is too good to be true! I had hoped that Disney would include the original theatrical version, but I wasn't convinced that they would actually do it!

Thank you, Disney! You have made this guy very happy!

Jared M

Stunt Coordinator
B00003CX8Y.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks