Beauty and the Beast : Lack of bass or just my set-up??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Laughter, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

If this is better moved to the review thread feel free to plop it over there, I just didn't know if it belonged there since my question kind of extends beyond this movie.

Anyway, I work in an IMAX theater that ran B&tB, so maybe I'm just used to the overly bass-heavy mix used in that incarnation, but the sound on the DVD really seems to be missing some low end, and I'm wondering if its just my system, or the disc, or as I said, am I just used to the too bassy IMAX mix?

I only ask because my subwoofer is literally just sitting there through most of the movie, even through the songs. Even when the Beast roars I just get it through the front soundstage and get no low end coming out of the subwoofer, this sounds really weird because I'd have expected the LFE to kick in for his roars . . . but nada.

2. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

I get an AWESOME deep low and loud rumble when they try to break down the beasts door. Gret effect I am using a 20-39cs+ plus samson 1000. Could be your sub. I had perfect blen for the movies and the roars but the door part near the end of the movie was a great surprise!!

-b

3. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

Yeah, just watched through the whole thing and got a really nice bass when they ram the castle door. It was like that in the IMAX mix too, literally shook all the computers, hehe. Still, I'd have expected some rumbly in my tumbly during the Beast's roars, oh well.

4. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

After watching The Brotherhood Of The Wolf, I know my subs work just fine.
    Beauty and The Beast doesn't have that kind of bass. Thank God actually or my kids would never watch it.

5. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Check to see if your front speakers are set to "Large". Disney uses the mains for deep bass on a regular basis. I had a similar problem with "Fantasia 2000" and it turned out that my mains in DTS mode were set to "Large".

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The new 5.1 mix has less bass overall than the old 2-channel one with some noticeable exceptions such as when the villagers are trying to break down the door near the finale.

Regards,

7. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

I agree, Ken. Yes, the bass during the castle door scene is impressive, but on the laserdisc, every growl of the Beast could be felt. It really made him more meanacing. On the DVD his growls have been reduced to purrs.

-Lyle J.P.