What's new

Beauty and the Beast DVD Oct 2002 release (1 Viewer)

Andre Ramirez

Auditioning
Sorry If this has been posted already...
I picked up my copy of Snow white last night and flipped thru the Disney A-Z pamphlet that comes with it. On the back they state that Snow White is the First of the Platinum Line and Beauty and the Beast will be the second. The release date October 2002. Does Disney do a good job of releasing thier DVD on time?
Thanks
Andre

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Disney is not always good about releasing DVDs according to original plans, e.g., they have delayed releases originally announced like Oliver & Company, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, etc. They have not completely made good on their original late-1999 announcement to release all the animation catalog (sans Platinum titles) within 2 years.
However, I would expect them to meet their stated intentions regarding the Platinum Collection. Releasing only one per year certainly gives them enough time to do the work, and I imagine it's very important to them to have this big release prior to each holiday season.
I'm very impressed with what I see on Snow White. It just makes it all the more frustrating that we will have to wait so long for the rest of the Platinum releases like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, etc. Sure wish they could step it up to two per year, maybe a Spring and Fall release.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I don't consider BATB to be the strongest Disney title but more than good enough for my collection. The title I am awaiting sadly is Lion King.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Jaehoon Heo

Stunt Coordinator
Will Disney put DTS sound track for platinum series? I hope it badly, especially for Beauty and the Beast, and Little Mermaid. I saw a review that Little Mermaid SE was to crappy to buy. Will Disney re-release it??

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I saw a review that Little Mermaid SE was to crappy to buy. Will Disney re-release it??
The little Mermaid DVD is fine for a non-anamorphic DVD. It is definitely not a SE. The laserdisc created a little bit earlier had a nice documentary and some production art. The DVDs biggest problem is that it was severely overpriced like all of the "limited issue" first wave of Disney DVDs. Chuck Pennington's assessment at DVD Angle is more or less in line with mine.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
This is from a while back, I assume it's still accurate.
2001:
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Coming Fall 2001* (Platinum)
2002:
Beauty and the Beast Coming Fall 2002* (Platinum)
2003:
Aladdin Coming Fall 2003* (Platinum)
2004:
The Lion King Coming Fall 2004* (Platinum)
2005:
The Little Mermaid Coming Fall 2005* (Platinum)
2006:
Bambi Coming Fall 2006* (Platinum)
2007:
Cinderella Coming Fall 2007* (Platinum)
2008:
Lady and the Tramp Coming Fall 2008* (Platinum)
2009:
101 Dalmatians Coming Fall 2009* (Platinum)
2010:
The Jungle Book Coming Fall 2010* (Platinum)
------------------
God Bless America

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
So the SE of Peter Pan next year will not be under the Platinum banner? I'm confused with Disney's multiple editions. :)
Dan (UK)

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I hope they don't change their packaging styles over the years. Although, by the time that 2010 rolls around people will be wondering, why the antiquated DVD??? When's the [insert High Definition Disc format here] release going to be. WHAT!!! YOu mean we have to wait another ten years for this one to come out on [HDD format]???? ARGH!!!!!!!!!!
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I hope they rearrange the Platinum schedule. They should release Bambi and Cinderella (never on DVD) before any reissues. The Little Mermaid isn't the greatest but at least it's already on DVD.

Rod Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rod
With the wealth of extras on the Snow White DVD, I feel a little more confident that we'll see "Work In Progress" included in the BATB Platinum release. BATB just would not be complete without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.