What's new

Beauty and the Beast (2017) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For what it's worth, I think the quality of singing will be more important in Beauty And The Beast than it was in La La Land. It was more important that the actors in La La Land captured the emotion of the scene and song rather than being great singers.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
For what it's worth, I think the quality of singing will be more important in Beauty And The Beast than it was in La La Land. It was more important that the actors in La La Land captured the emotion of the scene and song rather than being great singers.
It should be more important when considering the the quality of the singing in the animated version. That short audio only clip has me worried.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
What's with the negativity? I though the trailer looked great, never was much of a fan of the animated version, although my daughter used to love it when she was a small kid, but this looks great, and Emma Watson is good, and hot, so I don't really see how bad this could go?
Then again, I loved the Jungle Book when I was a kid, but didn't hate the live action remake, so what do I know?

Actually, I can't wait to see them try Aristocats ;)

If it's bad, the original is still there, so it's not like they ruined anything, but if it's good, it's another good movie, and that's good, no?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What's with the negativity? I though the trailer looked great, never was much of a fan of the animated version, although my daughter used to love it when she was a small kid, but this looks great, and Emma Watson is good, and hot, so I don't really see how bad this could go?
Then again, I loved the Jungle Book when I was a kid, but didn't hate the live action remake, so what do I know?

Actually, I can't wait to see them try Aristocats ;)

If it's bad, the original is still there, so it's not like they ruined anything, but if it's good, it's another good movie, and that's good, no?
Think of it as aspirational hopes for the movie to be good. Visually I've seen nothing to disappoint me, but the audio clip is worrisome. Her voice was pleasant but that's not what I want from this movie. I've just sat thru La La Land and was quite disappointed at the singing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ariana Grande and John Legend to perform Beauty and the Beast title track

Grande has a tremendous voice, and she can definitely knock this out of the park. I just hope we get the Grande that sang on Broadway with the big expressive voice and not the overproduced, autotuned, breathy garbage that has mostly defined her pop career.

Incidentally, here's a video of her on the Tonight Show parodying Celine Dion singing "Beauty and the Beast":

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ariana Grande and John Legend to perform Beauty and the Beast title track

Grande has a tremendous voice, and she can definitely knock this out of the park. I just hope we get the Grande that sang on Broadway with the big expressive voice and not the overproduced, autotuned, breathy garbage that has mostly defined her pop career.

Incidentally, here's a video of her on the Tonight Show parodying Celine Dion singing "Beauty and the Beast":

Wow! She certainly did a good Celine. She's charming too.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

So True. You were captivated by these characters and their situation...when they sang we just went along with it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What have you done with the Adam Lenhardt I know?? I'll let the owners know his account has been hacked.
:laugh:

Even though I don't care for her pop music, I have a fondness for her from her days playing a very eccentric supporting character on Nickelodeon's "Victorious" - basically a broader, brighter take on "Fame." I've been an insomniac for my entire adult life and late at night when I can't sleep but I'm too tired to concentrate, I tend to gravitate toward shows that are easy to follow and that was one of them. I loved her singing on that show.

For another example of her singing chops away from Top 40 radio, here's a video of her covering Whitney Houston as part of a concert at the White House:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Heh, can't tell if you've never really heard anything about her, or if you're being sarcastic.

Obviously I've never met her, but from all accounts, she's a stuck up little snot.
There was a time in my life when I was familiar with the up and coming performers, they were my generation. I also grew up being familiar with the older generations. Now I've reached the point in my life where I'm not familiar with the younger performers. I'm so "not with it" these days.

Which means I was not familiar with her. I also tend to discount background stuff that's not directly related to enjoying her art. Don't know if she's stuck up or not, but she wouldn't be the first young person to get an elevated opinion of themselves. Some time earned maturity may take care of that. I know I'm not the person I was in my 20's.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For another example of her singing chops away from Top 40 radio, here's a video of her covering Whitney Houston as part of a concert at the White House:

I get that she COULD be a good singer. She's got a great instrument and a very wide range and strong pipes which supplement that range. But her styling (of adding way more notes than are written...which is a common practice of modern day female singers--I'm looking at you, Mariah Carey) is something which I have never been able to abide. It is distracting from the melody, adds nothing, and is actually distracting to the task at hand. She needs more training...but when you're already making millions, you probably don't think so! :laugh:

And, yes, Adam...you would do well to keep your damn ball out of my yard, too! :D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
But her styling (of adding way more notes than are written...which is a common practice of modern day female singers--I'm looking at you, Mariah Carey) is something which I have never been able to abide. It is distracting from the melody, adds nothing, and is actually distracting to the task at hand.
I agree completely with you there. Hopefully the album producer for the soundtrack will bring out the best in her and minimize the overindulgent impulses.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I really don't think she's capable. Even the clips you posted show that it;s just part of how she performs.

But enough about her.

I haven't made my case yet about this film. But I am extremely doubtful.

I honestly think the 1991 version is nearly a perfect film. I've told the story many times on this forum about how my daughter and I went many, many times to see it in the theater while my wife was taking care of her year-old baby brother. I couldn't have been more thrilled when the film was nominated for Best Picture (before they had the animated category)--the first animated film ever to be nominated for BP. I really wanted Belle to win for Best Song...it contains a huge amount of exposition and is so entertaining, too.

I just don't know what we'll gain from the new version. The animated figures (Mrs. Potts, Chip, Lumiere, Cogsworth, etc) look really creepy in the trailer. Peg and I will definitely be going to see it. And I'm going to really try to keep an open mind. But I'm doubtful that I'm going to like it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It does seem like Disney's latest version of the double-dip is to just remake all of its animated classics in live action. Snow White would probably have been announced by now if Universal hadn't made Snow White and the Huntsman with Kristen Stewart so recently.

The worst example of this trend for me is Ron Howard's feature length live action take on How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The half-hour animated cartoon was the perfect length to tell that story. By the time you get to the end of the movie, you're exhausted, and you've spent far too long in mean-spirited land.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I agree completely with you there. Hopefully the album producer for the soundtrack will bring out the best in her and minimize the overindulgent impulses.
Mike wasn't talking about Emma Watson, he was referring to Ariana Grande who is not even in the film and I have no idea how she got into this thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks