What's new

Beauty and the Beast (2017) (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
For the record, Beauty And The Beast has mostly overwhelming positive reviews from critics in Australia.

And any country that censors films is not worth noting in my opinion.

I disagree with you.Most of the Australian reviews that I read ,were more on the negative side rather than being positive.

All countries censor films. Often it is the distributor's fault in order to get a lower classification. Television stations and airlines are the worst offendersI don't understand what you mean in your statement regarding 'not worth noting'?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I disagree with you.Most of the Australian reviews that I read ,were more on the negative side rather than being positive.
IMO, it doesn't even matter as the reviews I care about is what the general public is saying about a film. Based on everything I've heard about it from our membership and my friends is that it's a really good film. Therefore, I'll be seeing it in the coming days!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

All countries censor films. Often it is the distributor's fault in order to get a lower classification. Television stations and airlines are the worst offendersI don't understand what you mean in your statement regarding 'not worth noting'?
Just do a search for Australian reviews of Beauty And The Beast and it's obvious almost all of them are overwhelmingly positive. Doesn't matter as I think the film is doing kinda ok and most of the world seems to like it.

And airline editing is not the same as censoring. And my comment about "not worth noting" is more of a statement against any apparently homophobic nations like Malaysia where , by the way, the film was NOT allowed to be censored by Disney.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I don't think they're particularly disingenuous in the way the advertise the FDX screen, and FWIW, they offer matinee prices for it (unlike the local Cinemark XD). The larger screen is nice, but really it's the Atmos sound system that elevates the FDX experience. The last two Star Wars films, in particular, were absolutely mind-blowing (ear-blowing?) on that Atmos system.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Just do a search for Australian reviews of Beauty And The Beast and it's obvious almost all of them are overwhelmingly positive. Doesn't matter as I think the film is doing kinda ok and most of the world seems to like it.

And airline editing is not the same as censoring. And my comment about "not worth noting" is more of a statement against any apparently homophobic nations like Malaysia where , by the way, the film was NOT allowed to be censored by Disney.

I don 't need to do a search as I read the local reviews in the newspapers. Let us not forget that it is not only Malaysia that is homophobic as regards censoring films. How many European films have been censored in the USA due to their sexual content?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right now, I have no plans to see this film as I consider the animated film one of the best Disney films ever made. I might reconsider later on after reading some first hand comments from those of you seeing this film next weekend.
I just found out this film is going to be 129 minutes long compared to the 92 minute animated version. No way I see this film without reading reviews from those that viewed it first as I usually hate remakes of great films that extend playing time by over 30 minutes. Sitting through long musicals isn't something I usually enjoy unless it's something like West Side Story or The Sound of Music.
Today, I finally viewed this version of "Beauty and the Beast" and I can happily state that I loved it. I loved everything about it. I had my doubts beforehand as the animated Beauty and the Beast is arguably my favorite animated Disney film. After reading some criticisms, I thought Emma Watson's voice was just fine. Granted, she's not a great singer, but I thought her voice was fine for this film. I loved the casting of this film with some of my favorite actors in it.

As far as the length of the film, I had no issues with it and thought the film moved along at a good pace. Hell, I was the only person that stayed through the end of the credits as I wanted to see the credited singers.

I'll be buying this on video, I just hope Disney releases this film onto 4K/UHD with its Dolby Atmos audio track. This beautiful film deserves it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Crossed $400 million today and closing in on a Billion worldwide. Wow.

Domestic: $401,073,944 44.6%
+ Foreign: $498,900,000 55.4%
= Worldwide: $899,973,944

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
currently WAY ahead of B v S's final numbers that was released at about the same time frame last year. Who would have thought that a live action remake of Beauty and the Beast would make way more money than the first movie to have both Batman and Superman in it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
currently WAY ahead of B v S's final numbers that was released at about the same time frame last year. Who would have thought that a live action remake of Beauty and the Beast would make way more money than the first movie to have both Batman and Superman in it.
I've not seen either movie, but based on critical reviews and comments here on the forum, this is like comparing apples and oranges. I.E. Bad or mediocre movie vs. good movie. I get your point, though, the two biggest comic book stars and it doesn't perform that well.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Wow. How many movies does Disney release a year that come close to or break a billion worldwide? Five last year? Maybe six this year?

It's pretty incredible.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It has a good chance of beating Rogue One too.

Worldwide -- certainly and I say by quite a bit.

Domestically -- from looking at the numbers I would think unlikely unless it has a huge Easter/Spring Break bounce. I'm guessing beating Fidning Dory and hitting 500M is pretty doable, but 530 doesn;t seem likely with it falling off the higer dollar screens soon and it should start dropping theaters really soon.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think it does end up beating Rogue One here. Just not slowing down.

It's going to need to major rally some over Easter it looks like to me. It;s at 440M now. est to pull 15M for this weekend, and already falling 40-50% per week so it seems 500-510M seems to be puffing hard. Rogue One at 530+ seems safe. With it being kicked off Imax and 3D screens it just doesn't seem like it's got another 100M

Internationally it should pass Rogue One within a week and 1.15-1.2 isn't too much of a reach

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Me. A nostalgic hand-holding remake of one of the most adored children's films of the current 18-30 demographic vs. an introspective deconstruction of the role of heroism? It's no secret which audience was larger. I'm actually surprised B&B won't hit the $1.5b mark.

BvS was going off of familiarity with the characters but its story was always going to have less appeal to several people. Not everyone buying a ticket got the movie they expected from a story standpoint.

B&B on the other hand had zero mystery or surprises in regards to how its story plays out. Everyone buying a ticket gets exactly what they expected. Its essentially the movie equivalent of a Broadway revival.

Last edited:

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie even though I cannot stand Emma Watson's sing, everyone else was pretty good. My daughters and I had a great time.

There is one thing that has been bugging me and that is the very end, literally the last second of the movie. There is an odd edit right before the screen goes black that made no sense to me and I'm wondering if others feel the same way. During the Finale, the camera starts to do the typical slow crane shot of pulling up and back as the song is about to hit it's big ending when... suddenly it cuts back to Madame Garderobe for what felt like only a second before the screen went black. I don't understand this edit at all and, IMO, it ruined what should have been the last shot of the movie, the wide shot of the ballroom. Maybe Audra McDonald had it in her contract that she must be the last character shown on screen. All I know is that it felt like an editing mistake to me, am I alone?

Seriously, that edit has been bugging me since I saw the movie on opening weekend.

Last edited:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

Zootopia ended up making more than BvS, which I thought, was more remarkable. They came out around the same time, plus I don't think much was expected from Zootopia. A fox and rabbit would end up beating the 2 most well-known superheroes at the box office.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Zootopia's audience is a larger one. Disney releases nothing but four quadrant family movies. BvS is not a family movie, and it certainly isn't a four quadrant movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks