What's new

Beatles Remastered Catalog posted for pre-order on Amazon.uk & HMV.uk! (2 Viewers)

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
you don't care. they are not part of your equation. fine. you have established that and it should be irrelevant to you if these two songs are at the end of Past Masters Vol 2.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
They weren't on Past Masters 2 before so why should they be now?

Maybe they should just release "Past Masters Volume 3" and call it "The Beatles Anthology".

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Ok for the 10th time, because they are revising the collection, now is the opportunity to have 2 hits represented since there's room and the perfect spot for them. It's hardly unusual to update a comp on later editions.

It's not that difficult to grasp.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Who said they're revising the collection? Actually, the fact that they aren't revising the collection seems to be your main sticking point.

They're remastering the existing releases. There are no bonus tracks and no other changes in the configuration. The only arguable change is the combination of "Past Masters" into a single volume and even that was released as a double-album on vinyl and probably would have been released as a double-CD if those double-disc holders used on other Beatles releases were widely available then. The first edition of the white album was two individual CD cases in a longbox so it's not much of a stretch to see why the "Past Masters" volumes were even released individually in the first place.

But what this all comes down to is your belief that this release should be something that it's not. It's not about adding tracks, it's about taking 1987 CD releases and bringing them up to the standards of today. They could easily take other "Anthology" tracks and use them to supplement the other albums, most of which barely use half of a CD's capacity. They just aren't doing that. Again, the 3 Anthology releases exist as a pretty comprehensive collection of "bonus tracks" as-is, they're readily available and not in need of remastering like the recordings that have been remastered.

Is that really so hard to understand?

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

They are going back to it to make changes.

As noted in the release - the remastering, liner notes etc.

I am aware of what they doing. I don't know if you are being dense on purpose or what. Again, I merely suggesting that there is room to include these two hits and since they are updating the collection, this is an opportunity to do that.

I am not making this to be something that it is not, I am merely suggesting:

I merely suggesting that there is room to include these two hits and since they are updating the collection, this is an opportunity to do that.

That's all. They are just putting remastered discs in the same packaging, they are updating it so again, sorry that my suggest upsets your world, but it's just an opportunity that's all.

Why is it that hard for you to understand?

Please before you ignore every word that I have typed over and over again - please just read my simple suggestion until you understand. I am not trying to be rude... you are just not grasping my point.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Without dragging myself too far into this particular argument - since when were those two songs "hits"? I've heard about these two songs since they were included on the Anthology... but I have never actually heard them.

Probably because I don't have the Anthology. I have the book, but not the CD.

Did they actually chart at some point and I missed it?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
They were notable because they were the first Beatles songs released in over 25 years.

They both met with a pretty mixed reception. They don't particularly sound like Beatles tracks, they sound like what they are: Lennon demos overdubbed by much older men and produced by someone other than George Martin. That's not a bash on Jeff Lynne or McCartney, Harrison or Starr, it's just that the whole equation doesn't result in something that would even be appropriate in this collection. If anything, they even stick out like a sore thumb in the Anthology.

But again, there is a lot of empty CD space on these releases and literally one person in the entire world thinks these songs should be added to this space whereas literally everyone else (including the powers that be) seems to be on the same page.

Once again, this is something that can be resolved in a CD burner. If you want "Past Masters" with "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" included then burn a copy. Nobody else does.

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike

They did chart, and yes - you did miss them. Free As A Bird peaked at No.6 in 1995, and Real Love reached No.11 in 1996.

You might have heard Real Love on TV commercials advertising Anthology 2.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
They are part of the history whether you like it or not. If by chance they were to be included at the end of the wildly varied sounding Past Masters 2 (varied in song styles) then you could always stop the disc before Free started.

Why should the songs sound like the 60s, it was the 90s...

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Number 9....Number 9....Number 9....

Im...so....happy!!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Why should songs that don't need to be remastered be included in a remastered box set?

Right now if you want the songs on "Past Masters" you can go to the store and buy "Past Masters". If you want the songs on "The Beatles Anthology" you can go to the store and buy "The Beatles Anthology". You're literally the only person I've ever encountered who seems to object to this.

That's going to be the same situation on 09-09-09, it's just that the "Past Masters" tracks will sound a lot better than the ones you can get now.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Also: Amazon.com has their US prices up: $18.98 for the 12 single-disc albums and $24.98 for the two double albums. That adds up to $277.72. They don't have either box set listed.

On one hand I have a little voice telling me that this is list price and that nobody will actually charge this (Amazon.com has months to lower the price) but on the other hand I can't help but be reminded that the prices NEVER dropped on the '87 releases. Right now you can buy the current White Album on Amazon.com for a little less than $25.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This is one of those very few releases on any format (CD, DVD, BD, etc.) that they could charge MSRP and I will buy them. Something tells me they know that...

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
To Bill and Albert,
Just remember: "All you need is Love..Love; Love is all you need"

:D

Britton

Screenwriter

Can you provide links? I can't find anything about these when I search Amazon's website.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Go to Amazon.com search for "Beatles" under "music" and sort by release date.

The 2009 releases will be towards the top. There are actually a few singles listed first with a 2010 release date but I don't know if that's something actually in the pipeline or just more Amazon.com preorder listing weirdness.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

[Sheila Broflovski]"What, what,WHAT??"[/Sheila Broflovski]

You're joking, right? There was never a single for ADITL. It did appear clean on the "Imagine: John Lennon" soundtrack CD. Post breakup singles from Capitol/EMI, using the original catalogue following the dissolution of their EMI contract renewal, included "Got To Get You Into My Life" (to shill 'Rock & Roll Music'), the unissued "Girl" (for 'Love Songs'), "Sgt. Pepper/With A Little Help..." (to get mileage out of the p.o.s. Bee Gees movie), and the novelty "Movie Medley" (borrowing from the 'Stars on 45' phoenom).

The entire CD collection (with the exception of MMT, using the American release listing) uses the British release pattern, where (usually) albums were albums, and singles were their own entity - only 2 EPs featured original content - others compiled singles or lifted album tracks (of course, as mentioned MMT got the expanded release, since it did well enough as a UK import to warrant its own release there. The German vinyl pressing was the absolute best version - The MFSL LP used the US 2nd gen. master tape).

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Brad's not entirely off, ADITL was the B-side to the "Sgt. Pepper/With a Little Help" single you mentioned. FWIW, the clean version of ADITL is also on The Blue Album.

I still would like to see "The Beatles' Movie Medley" tacked onto Past Masters. It'd be nice to throw in Hollywood Bowl and the Christmas stuff too, but at least those could possibly have a separate release someday. The medley isn't quite as prestigious but is still worth hearing and officially releasing on CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks