What's new

Beatles Relevance (1 Viewer)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I will object to the term "serious music" :D! I take most of the music I listen to seriously, and most of it isn't classical. It is true that "classical" in itself is a bit of a misnomer, since it's used to refer to baroque, romantic, etc. types of music, but it is generally accepted today as referring to all of them rather than the classical subgenre itself.
But as a musician I will definitely concede that anything a classical composer does is infinitely more difficult and complex than what popular musicians (rock, blues, even jazz, etc.) do today. Weaving dozens of instruments together in melodies, countermelodies, ever-changing rhythms, writing the music a fleet of musicians, and a million other things make up the composer's job.
However, that doesn't make classical music better. Rock music touches us because of its chutzpah, its intensity, its accessibility and often it is the lyrics in popular music that are the most important component to many listeners.
So, while classical music is in a realm far beyond popular music, rock and its compatriot genres will always be held the closest to the hearts of millions, music-savvy or not.
-Tom

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
One of the cool aspects of the Beatles(and there are many) is that their music is so broad it can be enjoyed on a visceral or cerebral level. Is the "chairman Mao" line in Revolution dated? Yes. Does the power of that performance kickass? You bet. Beatle music is not one dimensional which is why it will survive.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
the New York Dolls (harbingers of punk and new wave)
They were hardly alone in this. You would have to consider The Stooges and Velvet Underground just as strongly, not to mention bands like the MC5 and all of those "Nuggets"-type garage bands. The difference with the Beatles is that they not only transformed popular music, but they also acheived sustained popularity at the same time and have maintained it since.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks