Beatles on Ed Sullivan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marvin, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    I just found this:
    http://www.edsullivan.com/
    This is an official release of the entire shows - all the acts - of the first 4 appearances of the Beatles on Ed Sullivan ($39.90 for 2 DVDs).
    If you put this in your shopping cart, they also list 2 assorted rock and roll DVDs for 14.95 each but I couldn't tell what the exact contents are.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Very interesting (if you can handle Soupy Sales on the same disk!)

Many of these Beatle performances are probably also on the 9 DVD set of Ed Sullivan classic rock performances recently released by Rhino.

Myself, I'm waiting for The Compleat Beatles, or 20 Years Ago Today, which were on video, to be released in DVD format.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    The ED Sullivan stuff was available on LD too. I have one of them. I still have not opened my box set of "Anthology" where I got the 8 LD set on close-out for something like $35.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

My understanding is that the excellent documentary The Compleat Beatles is in an Apple Corp.-induced limbo of some sort. The company would prefer that you screen The Beatles Anthology instead, as it's authorized (and, thus, a little on the candy-coated side). Of course, it's not on DVD yet either.

Unfortunately, we may never see The Compleat Beatles on DVD. And that's a shame.

5. Jack Briggs

Also, The Beatles played live on the Sullivan stage four times. They played on two separate editions of the show taped on February 9, 1964, with the earlier afternoon performance (and show) being tape-delayed for broadcast two weeks later. On February 16, the show was broadcast live from Florida. On that show, The Beatles sounded much, much better (the band was unhappy with the February 9 sound mix). It sounds as if there is hardly any screaming in the audience during the Florida broadcast, but there was. The engineers, however, mixed the band's sound much more forwardly.

After the February, 1964 shows, the band appeared live in the Sullivan studio again in the summer of 1965. The show was tape-delayed for broadcast in September.

Now, there were lip-synced promotional films by The Beatles broadcast several times on Sullivan's show, the first of them being in April of 1964 (it was the "You Can't Do That" promotional clip, originally intended for inclusion in A Hard Day's Night, but later excised; this was preceeded by a brief clip of Ed Sullivan visiting and speaking with the band in England).

6. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    As long as we're on the subject of documentaries, here's something I've been wondering about for a while: back in the '70s, I remember seeing a Beatles documentary in a theater. It wasn't the Compleat Beatles of course. It was, as I recall, a collection of concert or studio clips, not a narrated documentary. The name was something like, but probably not exactly, Beatles Celebration or Beatles Forever or something to that effect. I recall it had a clip of them recording Hey Jude with John joking around during the na-na-na-na vocal part, to the amusement of George Martin and Paul.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

7. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

All the 1964 Ed Sullivan appearances are on DVD on the Maysles The Beatles: The First US Visit, as well as highlights from their performance in Washington, DC.

8. Jack Briggs

I strongly recommend that disc, too. But is it still in print? I was going to purchase a backup copy and can't seem to find it anywhere.