What's new

Beatles on DVD Audio? (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I don't think anyone is trying to undermine legitimate news of a hi-rez release of a landmark album. Look, for example, what happened with the DSOTM. There was a huge long thread about the forthcoming DVD-A (which I was just as enthusiastic about) and that never came to pass. There was another site someone posted referring to the site that said both "Anthology" was coming to DVD-V on April 1, which apparently it is, and also indicated the Beatles would be coming to SACD next year. I will believe either when I see it from a legitimate source.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Forget the Stones, forget Floyd, the Beatles are where it is at when it comes to selling a new format.
I don't see how anybody who paid close attention to the early years of CD can refute this.

No other act gave attention and validity to Compact Disc more than The Beatles did.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No other act gave attention and validity to Compact Disc more than The Beatles did.
My recollection is that there was a handful of major bands including The Beatles and Pink Floyd and others that really kicked off the format.

I would never downplay the importance of The Beatles in helping any particular format given the fan loyalty.

In fact, I will stipulate that if we see a Beatles DVDA, then that will be a big step forward for the format.

Nevertheless, you have to give Sony credit for signing up one of the best selling albums of all time and the Stones also.

They appear to me to be doing all they can for Super Audio.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I also posted another thought on the Steve Hoffman forum...

Why would EMI issue The Beatles catalog on DVDA when they are going to do the first six hi-rez albums for Blue Note in Super Audio?

Including the hugely popular Norah Jones album...

It seems that EMI's forward looking releases all heavily favor Super Audio.

:)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Why would EMI issue The Beatles catalog on DVDA when they are going to do the first six hi-rez albums for Blue Note in Super Audio?
One could argue that the Jazz and Audiophile crowds have more SACD enthusiasts than Beatles fans, and that they are going after the mainstream for the latter.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
You wanna know what's cool?

Watchin' almost the same babble going on, at the same time, on two different boards, by the same people. :D

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
One could argue that the Jazz and Audiophile crowds have more SACD enthusiasts than Beatles fans, and that they are going after the mainstream for the latter.
Then why release Dark Side of The Moon on Super Audio ?

That's clearly not jazz or strictly audiophile. Dark Side by its own album stats is as mainstream as they come.

:)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Being a duel player owner, I say BRING IT ON, in any format, as long as it's high rez!:D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Hehe.

Definitely only a rumor now, but those hints sure are SOLID hints.

Pink Floyd? Obviously, very good stuff. But also, definitely not everyone's cup of tea--play Meddle at a party and watch what happens!

But the Beatles? From light-n-fun pop stuff, to plain old rock, to bluesy stuff, to their later trippy period. Their work appeals to all kinds of different people.

And most of those people aren't audiophiles willing to blow $300 on a new sacd player (everybody's heard this argument before so.........).

IF The Beatles appear on dvd-audio I'm pretty sure dvd-a won't need much of a marketing campaign anymore to advertise itself.

LJ

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
IF The Beatles appear on dvd-audio I'm pretty sure dvd-a won't need much of a marketing campaign anymore to advertise itself.
Just a thought - but maybe, this is why Warner let Sony dole out all that dough for "Dark Side".

The proverbial ace in the hole! :)

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
after they do abbey road in 5.1 the next one should be the white album[could you imagine the track no.9 in 5.1?]

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

Lee - isn't speculation and discussion supposed to be fun?

You really do work this thing like a part time job.

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator

You've got to be kidding. Some *very* unscientific poll on a specialty site has absolutely nothing to do with the general public's willingness to do anything. I remember back in both the 1996 & 2000 elections a number of political sites had polls showing Libertarian Harry Browne winning the presidency. He ended up getting about 0.4% of the vote each time.

Every single member of this forum could go out and buy a SACD and DVD-Audio player this year and it still won't do squat for either format.

If you spend alot of time checking out audiophile websites & visiting specialty stores, then I guess it would be easy to kid yourself into thinking these formats are taking off.

But try talking to friends/family about the formats - talking, not preaching - and see how fast their eyes start to glaze over. How many are going to set aside time for critical listening sessions, invest in a proper 5.1 A/V setup, and buy discs they may not be able to enjoy in their cars, walkman, etc.? Plopping down $200 for a new player is only the beginning for them to fully appreciate these formats.

(While talking to the non-audiophile types, ask them if they can tell the difference b/t a CD and an mp3. You'll start to get an idea of how badly the public demands a new high-rez format)

Rob

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
You'll start to get an idea of how badly the public demands a new high-rez format
I truly believe that with the right campaign and superstar titles and perhaps a better economic environment, the hi-rez world can go mainstream over time.

Maybe Dark Side will do it for Super Audio, maybe the Beatles will do it for DVDA...

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to follow-up a bit on robert's thoughts, because I think he's right-on-the-mark. And, because I think so, I can't help but roll my eyes and shake my head whenever I hear an argument made on behalf of the "mainstream consumer", the "average listener", the "mid-fi non-audiophile community", etc.

You've heard various specie of these arguments, on behalf and against either format, such as "SACDs are better--at least the hybrid variety--because Joe Boombox can listen to them in his Honda, on his Walkman, etc." I'm convinced Joe Boombox doesn't give a shit. Likewise, "DVD-A is better because Joe Home-Theater-in-a-Box can hear low-res multichannel on his DVD player". But there are 36,500 registered members of the Home Theater Forum, most of whom presumably have DVD players--and how many of them are here discussing DVD-A music titles? How many give a shit? 1%? 2%? Even that many?

They don't care! Music means nothing more to them than pleasant wallpaper. It's background. It's trivial. Neither SACD nor DVD-A matter to these folk. I'm serious, they'd rather just listen to the crap spoonfed to them on corporate radio.

So, please, the next time you presume to make an argument on behalf of these people, consider for a moment whether they even care.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
They don't care! Music means nothing more to them than pleasant wallpaper. It's background. It's trivial. Neither SACD nor DVD-A matter to these folk. I'm serious, they'd rather just listen to the crap spoonfed to them on corporate radio.
You hit the nail right on the head. The other day I had my sister over and she was wondering what were these music discs, in the larger cases (DVD-A). I tried to explain to her the benefits of Hi-res and she told me it was all just a waste of money because the music sounds essentially the same. I tried to explain to her the benefits of of multichannel, and her response was that only makes sense if you like to sit around and listen to music and nothing else. The fact of the matter is most people do not listen to music like we do, and they don't care about trying it our way. Music is there when cooking dinner, driving the car, or doing other chores, but it is not something that deserves time devoted to itself alone. Sad but so very true.

This all being said, I still want the Beatles in Hi-res, and could care less if it ends up selling either Hi-res format as long as I get the best presentation possible.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks