What's new

Beatles on DVD Audio? (1 Viewer)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Here's a bit from the piece...... :D

First: the coolest and best news of all, I can't tell you in detail - I'm sworn to secrecy. But I can't rest without tossing out a few hints:

Elliot Scheiner will soon be going into the studio to work on the surround remix, for DVD-Audio, of what many would say is the greatest rock/pop album of all time

it's an album by a band that is no longer active, and that Elliot Scheiner never worked with in the past

the 5.1 remix project has the blessings of a surviving member of the band (and the original session engineer will be involved in the remix)

the title of the album reflects its location

Hmmm... well, I think that's enough to just about give it away. Hehe.

Feel free to speculate on the identification of this momentous eventuality (use the Talkback link below), just don't expect me to confirm anything one way or another until I have go-ahead from Mr. Scheiner.

(If you're really desperate to know, send me e-mail, [email protected], with your guess, and your testimonial indicating why you think AudioWorld and/or DVD-Audio Daily is so great :), and I'll let you know whether you guessed right)

Trust me, this is big - when it's released, it may well provide the spark that finally ignites the DVD-Audio explosion. Can you tell I'm excited?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
While I am all for Beatles on hi-rez, it seems a stretch to assume that Beatles are the band in question here. There is no direct quote from Elliott referenced, for instance.

Perhaps we should wait for official word from the label or one of the band members.

:)

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
While I am all for Beatles on hi-rez, it seems a stretch to assume that Beatles are the band in question here. There is no direct quote from Elliott referenced, for instance.
What band is greater than Beatles of all time - Pink Floyd? :D

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Well the name of the above article is........ Elliot Scheiner, Re-Mixing for 5.1 and... Klaatu?

Another Hint......

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Well the Klaatu does it for me. Anyone who was a big Beatles fan back in the seventies remembers the speculation about a band named Klaatu being the re-united Beatles.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Beatles on DVD-A, sounds good to me. This is the group most people are waiting for, and will be a guaranteed big big seller. I am thinking it would make sense to do on a Hybrid DVD-A since the Beatles have not had any recent remasters.

Forget the Stones, forget Floyd, the Beatles are where it is at when it comes to selling a new format. I see Sony trying to get millions together, to throw the Beatles way possibly to no avail.

I guess Ringo or McCartney don't like DSD ;)

J

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
If it were the Beatles, my guess that it would be Sgt. Pepper. I would not however assume it was. I believe Sony owns the rights to half the catalog and the cash strapped Michael Jackson the other half. I would think to release anything some type of permission might be required. Rumor has it that is what is holding up Warner putting out some DVD-As as they can't get the required permission to do 5.1. I also understand (could be wrong) that Silverline has 5.1 only for some type of similar reason. If it was a definite for either hi-rez format, I would expect a press release within a reasonable period of time (e.g. 2 mos.), otherwise I would lean towards this being nothing more than fiction. Sony has already announced Dylan's catalog for as far off as the 3rd qtr. EMI announced Pet Sounds months in advance. Perhaps it is one of the albums on Al Kooper's list: http://www.alkooper.com/hot100.html which also includes many other possibilities. Whatever it is, hopefully it will be a worthwhile hi-rez effort.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I believe Sony owns the rights to half the catalog and the cash strapped Michael Jackson the other half.
1) Tied up in lawsuit with Sony and MJ
2) I'm almost positive that publishing rights don't control the original recording rights when the original recordings are released as music media (as opposed to being used in a movie, commercial, and so on).

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
2) I'm almost positive that publishing rights don't control the original recording rights when the original recordings are released as music media (as opposed to being used in a movie, commercial, and so on).
This is true I believe. EMI owns the original Beatles recordings, and can put them out on disc without any interference from Sony. If the surviving members/families of the deceased are on board with a DVD-A, there is nothing holding them back.

All that Sony and MJ own are the publishing rights which allow them to pimp out Beatles songs for commercials and films sung by others of course.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I see Sony trying to get millions together, to throw the Beatles way possibly to no avail.
We don't know what has happened with the Beatles...possibly Sony won. Likewise any speculation on what the band members think about DSD is just that.

It would be awesome to have the Beatles on high rez. It seems a little suspicious that people here are quick to take a minor audio website at face value so quickly, however.

Let's wait for some official news...

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Another poster at SH.tv says:

Now that the cat is out of the bag....

I've known about this for awhile. I have a contact at EMI who has shared some of the things going on over there. The entire Beatles Catalog was supposed to be remastered a couple of years ago, then the surround formats came out. It was then decided to wait a bit and remaster for surround as well as hi res stereo. 5.1 was a must from the start, which meant DVD-A. (yea, I KNOW SACD does it too)

THEN, the hybrid SACD/Redbook came out. Now that Hybrid DVD-A / Redbook is here, my feeling is:

THe Beatles LP output remastered on one DVD-A / Redbook disk containing
Normal 16 bit Redbook layer Stereo
Hi Res stereo Layer
5.1 DVD-A layer
5.1 Dolby Layer

I do NOT think that we're going to get mono versions of anything after With The Beatles.

I also think that EMI is going to somehow give us the stereo versions of PPM and WTB , along with the mono. Perhaps these will not have the 5.1 layer because they are two track, altho, they *could* do a surround mix with the vocals across the front channels and the music tracks across the back chanles. I heard a homemade 5.1 track of "I Saw Her Standing There" done this way and it was very very good.

As far as Abbey Road goes, it should sound Terriffic in 5.1

Start buying those new surround systems, you SACD heads!!!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
EMI owns the original Beatles recordings, and can put them out on disc without any interference from Sony.
Abbey Road is a Capitol album...did EMI purchase this album as well? If so, EMI just put one of their flagship albums DSOTM out on SACD - it seems more likely that they will do the same with Super Audio, particularly given the proven hybrid ability. Perhaps if some hybrid DVDA product is out by summer and works well, then EMI could do something but it seems the better choice would be to do the following:

1. Issue on SACD and reach all CD players.

2. Get Sony to pay for production costs. I'm David K. could make a strong case for writing that check. :)

3. Pay $0.05 per disc royalty for SACD versus $0.40 per disc for DVDA.

Is there a link where we can confirm EMI has the rights to the whole catalog and not Capitol? (I think that's BMG)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps if some hybrid DVDA product is out by summer and works well, then EMI could do something but it seems the better choice would be to do the following:

1. Issue on SACD and reach all CD players.

2. Get Sony to pay for production costs. I'm David K. could make a strong case for writing that check.

3. Pay $0.05 per disc royalty for SACD versus $0.40 per disc for DVDA.
Well since this title would probably not be coming out for quite a few months, your SACD Hybrid point will probably be a total non-issue. Your royalty argument is becoming a bit old at this point, as there are still DVD-A discs being released. I guess EMI, BMG, Warner, Silverline, etc. don't care about the royalty issue that much so why should you? :rolleyes. Of course I never see you post about the increased costs of production in doing a SACD, but thats to be expected.

Once again Lee, I see you are trying to undermine a DVD-A related thread by posting various forms of SACD propaganda. I suggest you start a new thread with all of the information you have from your "sources" about the Beatles coming to SACD. You are beginning to look like a troll.

J

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It seems a little suspicious that people here are quick to take a minor audio website at face value so quickly, however.

Let's wait for some official news...
Lee,

The original thread was posted with a '?'. It is obvious everything is based on rumor.

I'm sure none of us here feel that this is a 100% 'sure thing' or 'done deal'.

Given the subject matter, there is going to be plenty of discussion. The same would be the case if the format was SACD. There is no reason to end or suspend the discussion, even if speculation is involved.

Hell, half the posts at internet forums, including here and SH, wouldn't even exist if no speculation or rumor were involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks