Beatles: Help! Is it rare?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JeremySt, Apr 11, 2003.

1. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    So I came across a copy of this title. Is it rare? I did some search and cant seem to find anything conclusive. How mush is this little gem worth. Its opened and has been viewed, but the disc and cover are fine. What do I have?

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Help has been discontinued. I assume you have the MPI verson and not some bootleg. If so, you have a moderately valuable dvd. Looking at recent Ebay auctions, it's worth between $40 and $70. If you got it for a normal price for used dvds, you did very well.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Apple might do SEs since they now fully own Help! That film and Magical Mystery Tour could use a remastered edition greatly.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have the Criterion LaserDisc of Help! I wonder what that's worth.... Too bad the movie sucks. [​IMG] Great musical numbers at least.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

6. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I actually have no interest in owning this title. it was just my good luck that aquired this title for next to nothing. I guess Ill put it up in the software for sale section.

Thanks guys.

7. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Unless you are age 45 or over, as I am, you cannot imagine the impact HELP! had when released in 1965. A HARD DAY'S NIGHT was obviously the better movie (and had an even bigger impact), we who saw it at the time had to enjoy it for its visuals alone, as the teens in the audience were making such a ruckus that the soundtrack was virtually inaudible. By the time HELP! came along, the audience had calmed down enough to allow us to hear most of the dialog (not great, admittedly), but it was the first chance most of us had to see the Beatles in color, as Ed Sullivan's show had been B&W, like the first Beatles movie. There were some fine Richard Lester sight gags and a terrific score, and we loved the film. The MPI release, while probably not OAR (I suspect 1.66:1 was the preferred ratio), has gorgeous restored color and, lacking a better release, is the one to buy.

8. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    In the interviews he did with Steven Soderbergh, Richard Lester talks about David Watkin's work on Help! -- specifically the "studio" sequence with the Beatles performing "You're Going to Lose That Girl" -- as being some of the greatest colour photography ever done.

I'm forced to agree. Whatever the flaws of the story (and they are many), it's an absolutely gorgeous film.

doug (happy owner of the MPI Help! DVD)

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I too have the criterion LD of HELP! (with the black cover)

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I too saw the film when it opened. The screaming in the audience was quite an experience. And I sincerely hope a remastered SE is in the offing.

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    It looks like Apple has done further work on the film after Paul Rutan's restoration.

The clips in the Beatles Anthology lack the heavy damage to the opticals (likely digitally erased) and the color is more saturated. The clips of Magical Mystery Tour are also better...

However, they oddly used a dupey looking print of A Hard Day's Night. I'm betting Miramax wouldn't let Apple use their remastered version. [​IMG]

12. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I also own the Help! MPI version. Not the best film, but it does have Leo McKern (who was Rumpole of the Bailey) as the chief baddy.

I would certainly buy it again in a restored version.

Having been 15 when it first came out, I too was caught in the fervor of Beatlemania.

13. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

You have to remember that the Anthology was put together beginning in the early 90's. Most likely they used the best material available at that time.