Beatles for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryLA, Nov 30, 2001.

1. JerryLA

JerryLA Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone heard anything about "A Hard Days Night" being out for Christmas this year. I keep thinking they will finally release it.

Thanks,

Jerry

2. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

Ain't gonna happen. This one is still in limbo.

3. John Koehler

John Koehler Stunt Coordinator

With the sad news of George Harrison's passing this morning, the producer of the Hard Day's Night DVD was a guest on Today Show. He said he is "still working" on the DVD. Nothing else.

4. Ken Ranke

Ken Ranke Agent

I missed the Today show interview but I did call Buena Vista today. There is not a definite date but it is scheduled for Spring/Summer 2002. I requested Buena Vista email me when there is a concrete date set for release and

also suggested they log on to HTF and let us all know.

5. Jim Benard

Jim Benard Stunt Coordinator

Forget these single titles, e.g., A hard days night, now more than ever, we want "Anthology" on DVD!!!!!!!!

Some on the recap's on George's death said he was doing interviews a year ago. Maybe the suits are putting together more clips to be added to the Anthology DVDs as extras....

6. JerryLA

Thanks for the info. When I posted the original note here I was unaware of the death of George Harrison. Now more than ever the release of Anthology is a must! I caught the tail end of what appeared to be an hour special on the Beatles/George Harrison last night on CNN, and the discussion ended with a rather somber note. George Harrisons passing sort of puts those of us nearing that age, a little more aware of our own mortality. For those who said "rock n roll" would never last, thank God you were wrong.

Jerry

7. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I am so glad I purchased this movie before it went out of print. I think it is a travesty that a movie of this calibre could be allowed to go out of print. Yes, please release Anthology very soon.

8. RonG

RonG Auditioning

I just returned from Tokyo on Tuesday with a new Japanese release of "A Hard Day's Night" The disc is 16:9/Letterbox with Dolby Digital and DTS sound! I'm not sure how they pulled off the 16:9 transfer of a originally shot 1:33 film but it looks great. The disc is made by SHV (Shochiku Home Video). There are extras like Japanese movie trailers for the original film release, a segment called "Locations" which is a collection of videotape cross reference segments of film locations in London (basically a then and now comparison). A bio segment of various actors from the film and a separate bio for each of the Fab Four. (Bios are all in Japanese fonts).

The picture quality is superb. I have a copy of the US DVD that is out of print and this appears to be taken from the most recent theatrical print. The DTS soundtrack is very impressive.

The disc was released on Nov. 15th. I purchased it at Tower Records in Tokyo. It came with a nice bonus full color book of various pictures and stories (in Japanese). The prices was about $32 US. Included inside the DVD case is a nice psychodelic card with a red guitar and 3 attached guitar pics with "A Hard Day's Night" inscribed.

The one down side is it is Region 2, so you will need an all region player. In the setup menu you can turn off the Japanese subtitles.

Hopefully some of the DVD software web sites will acquire this title for sale.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I wish there were the remotest possibility of bringing The Compleat Beatles to DVD. It's the single best documentary ever done on the subject.

10. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

11. JerryLA

Thanks for the info Ron, I'll have to wait for the US release, my player is region 1.

Jerry