Beatles cds need to be remastered

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob-Gr, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Rob-Gr

Rob-Gr Agent

What is it going to take to get The Beatles cds remastered? EMI/Apple is sitting on a goldmine and they wont do anything about it. The Beatles deserve a reissue like The Stones just had. I compared The Stones Beggars Banquer to the old London Years triple cd and the difference is noticable. Sympathy for the Devil sounds great and also runs at the correct speed. It is either faster or slow by about 14 seconds but it is the same version, speed corrected. The Beatles catalog is better than The Stones and is in much need of remastering. What would be nice is a remastering/rerelease of the mono and stereo versions on one disc. I know this will never happen but a remix of all the albums would be great too. Steve Hoffman should be the one to do all the remixing/remastering. I think Help! will be released in 2003 on dvd and it is possible they will release the album in a remixed version like The Yellow Submarine Soundtrack. The sound on the official versions of all the cds is terrible and has caused all the real fans to seek out vinyl to cd transfers of the original albums. How does everyone feel about this topic?

2. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Wasn't the CD format around for 5 years before the Beatles albums were issued on CD?

Properly remastering classic works of such popularity is an effort that must be worthwhile in the eyes of the record company. What is the market (apart from the likes of you and me) for remastered Beatles recordings? Improved fidelity alone does not sell strongly. Better liner notes and other packaging goodies (as well as better sound quality) might help sell remasters to the masses though.

I'd prefer they go with at least 24/96 stereo if they remaster this stuff. Nobody will be completely happy, regardless of what is or is not done. Take the Beatles 1 'remasters'. Target market: teens at Christmas time. As a result, the remasters were made to sound loud and congested to sound like the other teen-targeted albums out there.

I think the Anthology series was mastered well though, as far as CD goes.

-JNS

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

With EMI giving us Pink Floyd on DVD-A, hopefully the Beatles are not too far behind. I am actually quite satisfied with the current beatles releases on CD, I am afraid of what remastering might do to them if 1 is any indication of how they may turn out. If they remaster, a Hi-res release should be in mind.

J

4. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

No remixes, please! Ugh!

5. Michael St. Clair

Mono! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

I would definitely like to see some Beatles remasters.

-Mike...

7. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

This has little to do with the profit need for EMI. I think they know the Beatles will make more money for them even in a remaster (cheaper to re-master than to hone some new flash in the pan in the studio and to buy new songs at new royalty rates).

No, this is company politics at Apple. They are the keepers of the Beatles "product". Everything that goes out has to be approved by them. This includes Paul, John Lennon Estate, George Harrison Estate and Ringo. Neil Aspinall is still at the reins, deciding what is good for the Beatles and what is not.
    If anything, the fact the Paul wants Let It Be re-done is a sign of more to come. The problem is, will he do a good job without "revising history"? After all, he re-vamped his whole catalog in the UK, maybe if he has his focus on the Beatles catalog, he will see to get it remastered, too. But again, there's that roadblock at Apple. Just too many hands in the pot of gold, while the people who want the music have to sit and wait for the smoke to clear.

8. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

9. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

10. Rob-Gr

Rob-Gr Agent

Some of us dont have the money for a good turntable plus the original vinyl. You have to get the original copies too, because the newer ones were made with inferior pressings and worn parts. The vinyl to cd copies sound pretty good. Look at bootlegzone.com for more answers concerning that. Some of the Beatles cds were remixed when they were mastered to cd, we need the original mono and stereo mixes that were on the U.K. vinyl. A remix to go along with these releases would be nice, only if they used original Beatles era equipment to remix it and give it a little more kick. Thoses albums could sound so much better with a little work. Steve Hoffman is the guy to do all the remastering/remixing. You guys should check out the mono versions of Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and The White Album.
    Rob

11. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

12. Apolonio Chavez

Apolonio Chavez Auditioning

I have heard that the Japanese red-vinyl mono pressings kick ass. But the eBay monster keeps me from getting them...
    If MFSL wants to make a come back, reissue the Fab Four...

13. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

EMI should take a page from ABCKO. I love what ABCKO has done with the Stones.