What's new

Beatles Capitol albums on CD (1 Viewer)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I haven't seen this mentioned here yet. There was a subsequent note that the date isn't definite yet. This is from http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/fabnews.htm:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Mark Nov. 16 on your calendar: That's the day, we're told, that a box set of the 1964 U.S. Capitol albums will be released on CD for the first time officially. (Released that year were "Meet the Beatles," "Something New," "The Beatles Story," "The Beatles' Second Album" and "Beatles '65," though we suspect the latter would be held for a 1965 box.)
Here's some details:

Each CD will be remastered using 24 bit.

Each cd will have the MONO and STEREO versions.

70 page Booklet.

50.00 list

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Oh boy, that means we'll get to "enjoy" a handful of tracks in Capitol's horrendous mid 60s rechannelled stereo aka Duophonic process. :)

However, I'm happy to see that both MONO & STEREO mixes will be available. Are these the original mixes? Does this mean we'll eventually get Sgt. Pepper in mono as well?

I'm also happy that the Beatles material will be remastered for the first time since their original release 14 years ago. :eek:

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I doubt that we'll get SPLHCB in mono anytime soon. This is for things that were ONLY released in the U.S. Pepper was released everywhere basically.

They had planned to release it in mono back in 1997 but it was cancelled.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If this is remastered in the way that the EP box (mostly excellent remasters, all mono, no tweaking like the CDs) was remastered, color me interested. But I'm skeptical.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

If we ever do, then I hope we get the original mono master and not a 'monofied' version of the stereo release.

For those wondering what this is about, the mono version of Pepper used rather different mixes of some songs, particularly on Side 2.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
The MONO mix of Sgt. Pepper was mixed by the Beatles and George Martin over a period of 3-4 weeks.

The STEREO mix of Sgt. Pepper was mixed by a lowly engineer in 3 days.

At the time, the mono mixes of the Beatles songs were considered the "definitive" mixes for several reasons: all singles were mono, radio was mono, jukeboxes were mono, many folks in the UK did not have stereos yet, etc.

Wouldn't it be nice of the (hopefully upcoming) 1966 Capitol box set featured Yesterday & Today with the butcher cover? :)

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator

I not quite sure that's entirely true. Didn't the DVD Beatles Anthology released last year have a number of remastered songs? It sounded exquisite, but there were very few complete songs in the set. If that CD's sound that good, I'm in.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The collector in me will be all over this, especially since the US versions were the way I was introduced to the Beatles.

If they are remastered and sound great that will just be icing on the cake... :D

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Here's the theoretical release order for the maximum double-dip scenario:

1) Remastered US CDs
2) Remastered UK CDs
3) Remastered SACDs
4) Remastered DVD-A with bonus video footage
5) Deluxe multi-disc set for each album with tons of bonus tracks (example: the excellent 3-disc 'Village Green Preservation Society' that just came out from the Kinks).

;)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Michael - I agree, very nice idea. But Satan will be skating to work before we get (5) and I doubt if (3) or (4) will see the light of day for some time.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Not really, Richard. I don't recall the exact count, but the review in S&V had it at maybe 15 or so? It was a pretty big number, and was one major motivation for my purchase.

"A Day in the Life" in 5.1 is stunning.

BGL

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In regard to complete songs, the question becomes how one counts those. IIRC, they go the whole way through "Revolution" BUT they annoyingly plop that Lennon soundbite in the middle. :angry:

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

You're right. I neglected the Anthology DVDs as well as the "One" greatest hits compilation, mainly because a single-disc comiplation is practically an insult to a Beatles fan, and that disc uses some of the 1987 CD remix versions on a few tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks