What's new

Beatles at Washington 2/64 DVD - 10/7 (1 Viewer)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Actually, you could have started a new thread. Different title. (You sure woulda got my attention — and that of a few others — sooner!
OK, Jack, here's your new thread...

Amazon is listing the following DVD, to be released on October 7:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...730567-0615168

At least some of this performance is on "The First US Visit" DVD but I haven't watched it in a while so I don't know if it has the complete show.

So far, I haven't seen this DVD listed anywhere else.

On a semi-related note, DeepDiscountDVD is listing "Ed Sullivan Presents the Beatles" for $29.95 - make that $19.04 - on 10/28:
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=GTV081575

Perhaps this is a general release of the DVD set that sells for 39.90 (+ shipping) at edsullivan.com?? There aren't many details at DDD and I haven't noticed this elsewhere.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Folks, let's talk about the Washington DC performance disc here, and keep focusing on The Compleat Beatles in the other thread.

As for what is included on the now (sadly) out-of-print First U.S. Visit disc (which I own), only a little of it's there. And on film. The Anthology set, specifically disc number two, contains more footage of this concert, much of it on black-and-white videotape.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I've had an audio tape for years I lifted from a 16mm library print. I hope that they show the concert in its entirety, and don't fake their way through the ending.

When Paul on the Beatles Anthology (and I believe on First US Visit), Paul is shown thanking people for buying their first US hit record (as Capitol recording artists), but the Beatles launch into 'She Loves You'. Of course, the Beatles first Capitol single was 'I Want To Hold Your Hand'.

At the original performance, they sang the song, but the substitution was made because George played a wrong chord during the intro (wrong position, playing the chord a semi-tone flat).

The video footage was shot by CBS for closed circuit broadcast at movie theaters a month later. The footage, though technically dated, looks quite good.

From Abbeyrd's Beatle Page:

This list omits This Boy, All My Loving, and the closing songs Twist And Shout and Long Tall Sally. Some websites claim that Ringo sang Boys following IWTHYH, but I cannot verify this because my film dub ends with IWTHYH.

More details need to emerge on the concert performances, including the possibility of the inclusion of the following opening acts:

Bill Black Combo
The Exciters
The Righteous Brothers
Jackie de Shannon ("What the World Needs Now Is Love Sweet Love") - the audience paid tribute to Jackie by singing "Happy Birthday" to her.

Then all hell broke loose.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
In any case (I hope this is ok to post here), I'm probably
going to pre-order this tomorrow afternoon (Friday) so if anyone out there wants me to send them an Amazon STL discount, please email or PM me by, oh about, 3 PM EST Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks