What's new

Beatle EMI/Parlaphone releases on CD (1 Viewer)

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Considering this fall's release of AHDN on DVD, and then next winter's release of Anthology on DVD, I would imgine we won't see any re-releases of the albums on CD (or any different format) until at least Christmas 2003.

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
I personally think that the best way to hear the Beatles on CD (as opposed to the 1987 remasters) is to get the Red and Blue albums. These seriously make the '87 discs inferior! For example, A/B the original Come Together from the Abbey Road CD and then compare it to the Blue version. The AR version is flat and lifeless, while the Blue version has a better bass and crispier sound. Also, I like the Yellow Submarine Songtrack. It's, IMO, the best way to remix (unlike a certain Mr. Astley WHO screwed up a legendary band's catalouge;)). There are no things added or deleted, rather the original tapes are "expanded" a bit more, and make the sound fresh and bring out little tid-bits never heard before (or heard before, as in Yellow Submarine; I remember the "life of ease" repeat in the mono version, but never in the stereo version...But the YSS most likely proves that the "life of ease" line was buried in the mix). I don't agree with people who think that the YSS is blasphemy and like "painting the mustache on the Mona Lisa". Well, first, the YSS dosen't neccsearily add or subtract, but brings out a better sound. But, if they were missing the handclaps on It's All Too Much or added new vocals to All You Need Is Love, then that would be compared to "Greedo didn't shoot first".
Also, the even jucier part is that The Beatles only approved of the mono mixes up until about The White Album, I think. So, that would mean that listening to Sgt. Pepper in stereo isn't the correct way and is a "remix". Also, don't forget the George Martin remixes of Help! and Rubber Soul. They are the only current avaible way to listen on CD. I rest my point.
Maybe the best way to hear the albums is with the MFSL's and the UK boxed sets, but I have never been able to find a great copy, unfortunatly...
(BTW, I think that the 1 album is lifeless and was obviously remastered by No-Noise Peter Mew...)
One more thing... After reading an essay by Terry Ott on Abbeyrd's Beatles Page, I have gotten intrested in finding those CD's done by "The Doctor". In case you haven't read, the thirteen albums feature both stereo and mono versions on CD (2 for Yellow Submarine; 4 for the White Album). The sources used are recently-opened MFSL albums for the stereo versions (except Sgt. Peppers which the stereo source is the MFSL ULQH version or something like that) with the mono versions sources from the UK Beatles Mono Collection set. I'd love to get my hands on them somehow though, but the essay couldn't find a source to get them.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
(BTW, I think that the 1 album is lifeless and was obviously remastered by No-Noise Peter Mew...)
Granted they over-processed it to a damn near Vanilla state (more obvious on the pre-66 recording than the post-66 one's I thought) but IMO it still sounds better than the current US CD's.

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I've got some of the Mo-Fi's, a couple original UK Parlophones, and some 70's UK lps as well as a German MMT (the only way right way to hear this one on vinyl), which sounds great BTW. I have mixed feelings about the Mo-Fi's. The vinyl is extraordinary, very quiet, but the EQ'ing that they did makes them sound different. And while the added oomph in the bass on Abbey Road is fun, my UK sounds more natural. The best is certainly the original UKs, but the UK reissues (prior to the current digital/DMM issues that are the same source as the current CDs) aren't too bad, especially considering how much less expensive they are. The greatest thing I've come across is an original mono White Album that I just love. It sounds great. Some of the tracks are better, IMO, on the mono version, some just different. I think it's a shame that EMI can't give fans both the mono AND stereo versions on CD. Maybe with the Stones stuff being done that way on the new SACD discs, they'll get around to it.

And yes, the old Capitol lps ain't so hot...

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
I don't think anyone has commented on the Japanese vinyl pressings from the late 70's. Their catalog numbers on the spine began with "EAP". We were amazed at the time how much more we heard on these pressings than on North American pressings.

They still sound better to me today than the CD's, but does anyonr know how they compare to MFSL and European pressings?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going buy a turntable and stereo system just to listen to the Beatles.
Fair enough, but if there was ever a reason to get a 'table...
If you've only heard the cd's, I envy you on the day you discover The Beatles. You think you like music now? :) Bring on the SACDs!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi peoples!
even though i have limited knowledge of the beatles (i have their best-of's, but that's it) i've always thought their music was pretty cool.
but i was hesitant to purchase their albums.
but i recently....ummm..."discovered" most of their full albums via the good ol' three letter acronym we all love to hate -- "mp3".
anyway, after listening to most of the stuff, i can certainly say these guys are awesome! i now would like to start collecting their discography on cd.
on a side note, this is another example of how i believe mp3's can help an artist...but that's a different thread! :)
based upon this read, it appears that vinyl is the way to go. although i was looking into picking up a good turntable, it turns out i'll have to put that on the backburner for now.
so, my questions are: is there a particular label i should be looking for? any particular releases or versions i should be aware of? or is the one i find at tower records "good enough"? also, any truth to this being released on hi-res audio (that alone may make me upgrade).
any suggestions, links, and comments are appreciated!
thx,
ted

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Ted, the Beatles CD's currently available in the US market are good enough for now. Honestly, they sound much better than I expected after hearing all the complaints about quality. Considering what some of these esoteric european pressings are going for in the used market, the CDs are a good value IMHO.
And some advice about where to start with The Beatles catologue: Get Please Please Me first, and then buy every successive album after that :) Oh, and get Past Masters 1&2.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Frank,

I did not SAY the sound quality on MMT was good, I was saying the content of the MMT album and photo book was a much better combo than the six song EP they released in ENGLAND.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Hey Jude was simply made to release stereo mixes of mono singles that had already been released, including Can't Buy Me Love.

That was an Allen Klein product. He released Hey Jude (first titled Beatles Again) in absence of a Christmas time album. Abbey Road came out in August and Let it Be was being re-done to be released in Apr. 1970.

In England, Bad Boy saw release on the filler Christmas release A Collection Of Beatles Oldies, which essentially was an album of singles newly mixed for stereo by Geoff Emerick, but tracks like Love Me Do, Please Please Me and She Loves You had been simply electronically equalized by Emerick to create a stereo feel (more bass on one side, more treble on the other), because stereo tracks no longer existed - it was common practise to erase tapes once the mono singles were finally completed - there was no stereo mix made.

Bad Boy along with Dizzy Miss Lizzy were recorded in one session to give to capitol to flesh out the Beatles VI album in US. They knew it was for that, read The Beatles Recording .

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hey, i was just wondering, do ALL beatles Vinyl releases sound good?

My dad has two beatles records, one is the 2-disc 'Love Songs' set, with the brown cover and a monochrome pic of all four members on the inside, and the other is Abbey Road, but its japanese.

Would these be considered good-sounding? I've listened to them a few times, and it sounds good (Except for the hissing and popping... I gotta turn down the treble) on my el-cheapo 'fisher' turntable.

Thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks