Beat The Geeks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Chmiel, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Did anybody catch the sneek preview of Beat the Geeks on Comedy Central last night after South Park?
    What a great game show. Four geeks (a movie geek, a tv geek, a music geek, and a special guest geek) who all act like smartasses and GFBs (Greasy/Geeky Fan Boys [​IMG]) go against three contestants who can win the grand prize worth $5,000 (last night's grand prize were DVDs from FOX, CDs from Rhino, and a TIVO). The questions were a bit easy (imo) for both the contestants and the geeks, but oh well. Any show that says Dario Argento's Suspiria is better then the highly overrated The Exorcist is okay by me [​IMG] and I will be catching the show when it "officially" begins on December 10th.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection / AIM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
    "I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

2. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

Poor copy of "Win Ben Stein's Money"... and the geeks ramble on too much-- to the point of appearing to have been fed the answers.
    And what pissed me off most about the show.... it got the timeslot after a NEW South Park while "That's My Bush!" had to flounder after RERUNS of South Park.
    ------------------
    "I got kissed... and, and, and I shoplifted."

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

My roommate was present for the taping of several episodes. He told me that in the first segment, the host turned and chatted with the geeks after every single question. Most of those were edited out, but it's probably telling that the ones chosen were presumably the funniest... Yikes.
    It's an okay show, I guess. I'd watch it if I were intensely bored, but it's not something I'd go out of my way to see.
    Pien: I don't know if that's going to be MTG's permanent timeslot. It may have just been a 'special' thing for the preview.
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

4. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

[​IMG]
    That's what the show almost did to me. Decent concept for the show, but I was not at all impressed by it. I probably won't watch it on a regular basis.
    BTW, it's regular time slot is weeknights @ 7:30 PM (ET). If they take Ben Stein's Money off for this show, I will be [​IMG].
    [Edited last by Scott_J on November 08, 2001 at 03:29 PM]

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i was also impressed by the suspiria comment, and it's clear the geeks know they're stuff, but the show just didn't do it for me.
    the geeks rambled and show-boated way too much - to the point of annoyance.
    the questions for the contestants were pretty easy. i'm no hardcore trvia fan, but a picture of elton john [​IMG] c'mon...you'd have to be living under a rock not to know who he is.
    anyway, that chick was a hottie...
    ------------------
    "The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

A little borrowing from Ben Stein, a little more from Iron Chef, none done nearly as well as the originals.
    I vote "crap".

7. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

I have another comment about the show. Did anyone else find the grand prize package a bit odd? They included what appeared to be a boatload of DVDs, yet they didn't include a DVD player, but rather a TiVo. I think it's a bit presumptuous for them to think that all their contestants have a DVD player and, thus, can enjoy that portion of the prize package. I'm just rambling about this, but it does seem weird to me. I don't know. Anyone else?
    [Edited last by Scott_J on November 08, 2001 at 03:28 PM]

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Damnit, where's a "That's My Bush" DVD set? Trey&Matt had big plans for it!
    Oh right, it's controlled by Warner! Never mind!
    Jeff Kleist

9. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

It wasn't terrible, but nowhere near the calibur of Ben Stein or VS. At least it wasn't another Let's Bowl, and I'm still waiting for that to be cancelled.

10. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Let's Bowl was just picked up for 10 more episodes, so cancellation isn't imminent...
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

11. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer