What's new

Bears...good or just lucky? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
...their number 1 receiver, whoever that may be!!
Exactly. Whoever that may be. They would certainly be hurting without, Green. But you could dump any one of their receivers and it wouldn't matter that much. Their receiving corps is mediocre at best. Favre and Green are what matter in that offense.
Antonio Freeman is one of the greatest NFL frauds as a so-called superstar ever. IN MY HONEST OPINION. :D

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I think that Bears have had the right mix of luck and just plain playing hard to win. In the beginning I thought it was luck, but as the season wears on, I am more inclined to think its playing at a competitive level.

That being said, as for Sunday against the Pack...it will be a good game. The Pack has Favre and Green, and not a single descent receiver or tight end. They have a good defense, and a pretty good O-line.

The Bears have a good running back, no Q-back, and better receivers. The defense is very good, and the O-line seems to be protecting Miller well.

Unfortunatly for the Bears, this is the type of game situation that Favre LOVES! The man loves adversity. All it will take to get Favre really fired up is to have a couple of Bears trashtalk Favre in his own home...and BAM..blowout!

Matt

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While I'm neutral on the whole Bears - Packers rivalry, I think the Pac will beat 'da Bears this weekend. Chicago's luck has to run out sometime, and I've thought Green Bay was the 2nd best NFC team (behind the Rams) since early in the season. Favre is having an incredible year.
One other prediction -- the Lions will not beat the Bucs this weekend. I know you're all shocked by that wild prediction. :)

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
One other prediction -- the Lions will not beat the Bucs this weekend. I know you're all shocked by that wild prediction.
Way to go out on a limb there!! Personally, if the Lions get one win this year, it should be over the Bucs!!

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Marcus "The Fred Taylor/Terrell Davis of WR's" Robinson is no excuse. :)
Even with him in there, the Bears would still only throw 5 yard passes. ;)
No matter what you think, the Bears are not in the Elite group of NFL teams. The Pack are not even in that group, but I still do believe that the Pack are the 2nd best team in the NFC.
I still stand by my prediction that I had at the start of the season.
NFC Championship game - Packers vs. Rams, Rams win in a route.
Super Bowl - Rams vs. Raiders, Rams win in a shootout.
-Dean-

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My Super Bowl predictions are the same as Dean's. As for the Raiders opponent in the AFC Championship, that's a tough one. I was leaning towards Pittsburgh, but now Bettis is banged up. The Steelers have no chance if he's not healthy in the playoffs. The next best choice may be Baltimore. They won last year with no offense, so they certainly could get there again.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
The next best choice may be Baltimore.
Not bad. It really is tough to say. But I just don't see Grbac in a championship game. He did well at Michigan though. Come to think of it, there have been quite a few special players to come from Michigan. Remarkably, some are quarterbacks! :)

Michael Silla

Second Unit
The Bears are an illusion. Next year when they have a "tougher" schedule we will actually see if they are for real. I don't really see them doing much in the playoffs. I think the Superbowl will end up being the Rams vs somebody else.

I am leaning towards the Ravens being that somebody else. I'd say the Steelers but with Bettis out, it is gonna be harder for them in the long haul. Plus, I'm still not convinced that Kordell Stewart is Pro-Bowl material.

Michael.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Those are seem like sound picks. Who do you see in the AFC championship game?
At the begining of the season, I said Miami vs. Oakland in the AFC Championship game, but I don't think that will happen now. I will have to say either Baltimore vs. Oakland or .......hold on to your pants.......... New England vs. Oakland.

-Dean-

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
If Trent Dilfer can take the Ravens to the Super Bowl title, surely Elvis can get them to the AFC Championship.
Excellent point: I checked the numbers, and though he has two more starts, you can see that Grbac has better or similar regular season averages for some "primary" (as defined by ESPN.com) stats.

PASSING

-------

DILFER 00BAL (76.6RAT)

11G 8GS 134/226 59.3% 1502YDS 6.65YPA 59-tLNG 12TD 11INT

GRBAC 01BAL (73.6RAT)

11G 10GS 198/335 59.1% 2328YDS 6.95 YPA 77tLNG 12TD 15INT

Grbac appears to be the more aggressive thrower. His YDS, YPA, and LNG are significantly higher *with the same completion percentage*; i.e., he's completing the same number of passes for more yards. But the bottom line difference doesn't seem to be there (TD:INT ration). He has 4 more interceptions and a lower NFL QB Rating.

Winner: Grbac. He has more big play _potential_ while showing the same consistency as Dilfer. We just haven't seen that potential in *full* bloom yet. He better not wait for too much longer!

RUNNING

-------

Dilfer 00BAL

20CAR 75YDS 2.5YPC 19LNG 0TD

23SAK for 135 YDS

DILFER (Career 95G)

FUM58 REC11 YDS-51 SACK197 YDS1314

GRBAC 01BAL

16CAR 17YDS 1.1 YPC 6LNG 0 TD

14SAK for 113YDS

GRBAC (Career 103G)

FUM30 REC7 YDS-6 SACK115 YDS805

Judging from the carries, Grbac is less likely to run, and appears to be more willing to take the heat. In contrast, Dilfer will get happy feet. This probably accounts for the difference in long yardage numbers. Grbac will more likely wait for the end of a route than Dilfer will.

The combined numbers also suggest something strange between these two QBs. Though he is more mobile, Dilfer takes more sacks. 01BAL Grbac has 14SAK for 113YDS; and 01BAL Dilfer had 23SAK for 135 YDS, even though Dilfer had a healthier line and fewer starts.

And the career numbers are MUCH MUCH worse! In this case, it looks as though Dilfer's willingness to run does NOT help, because he's SUCH a crappy runner. There is only a marginal advantage in Dilfer's slightly better mobility!

Still, a QB in today's game must be a well-rounded athlete to run an aggressive offense a la Favre, McNabb, McNair, and Culpepper. These atheletes will probably show higher SAK numbers because of this willingness to run. This is a trend one sometimes sees in running QBs. But then, faster QBs will show greater YPCs, offsetting some of the SAK YDS lost.

You should never hamstring a QB by telling him not to run. But there really seems to be no downside to Grbac's immobility. Sure, he can't run. But he doesn't get sacked as much; nor does he fumble as much.

-Winner: Grbac

With Grbac you get less mobility but more home run potential. Otherwise, Dilfer and Grbac play with similar consistency (pct completion). Grbac is probably the better QB. With consistent team play, he may very well take BAL to a SB title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks