Beam in HT ream - FP hindered?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Farley, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Farley

Farley Auditioning

I am building a custom house, the basement will be unfinished. I had the architect remove most of the lolly columns and install bigger beams to open up the floor plan. I increased the ceiling height to 10ft.

My concern is in the HT room I have a beam that runs the width of the room around 8ft from the designated screen area. This beam will drop down about 8" I believe, making the ceiling height at that location approx. 9'4".

The room is 15' x 20'. I had planned on 100-120" screen, will the beam dropping down hinder the FP from projecting to the screen? I believe I would have to place the projector about 12-14' feet from the screen.

I can upload a jpg of the blueprint later tonight if anyone needs to take a look.

Any comments?

Thanks.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Hmmm, an 8ft throw (actually less than 8ft if you include the length of the projector itself) would limit the screen size available for sure if you intend to use the wall that is 8ft away from the beam. The other option is to use the other wall which would be about 12ft (???) from the pole right? You could also use some horizontal offset and mount the projector off the central axis of the screen. You would have to correct for this in the projector setup adjustments AND your selection of projectors would have to include this feature to adjust horizontal keystoning if you go that route.

3. Farley

Farley Auditioning

It's not a pole that is in the way. The ceiling has a beam that runs the width of the room. The ceiling is 10ft tall, where the beam is in the ceiling, the ceiling will be approx 9'4". The room is 20ft deep, at the 8ft mark (measuring from the screen to the back) is where the ceiling beam is located.

I didn't know if that beam dropping 8" from the ceiling would cause the FP to be blocked at all???

Thanks.

4. Paul His

Paul His Agent

No, it won't cause a problem unless your screen and projector are both tight to the underside of the ceiling, and they shouldn't be.

Mount your projector about 12" down from the ceiling and you still have loads of headroom underneath it. With the screen approximately 8' high at the top you'll have about 8" clearance from the top of the projector's light to the underside of the beam, as the light passes underneath the beam.

Paul

5. John Swarce

John Swarce Second Unit

Farley:

My basement HT room that I am building has almost the exact measurements as yours (22' long x 15' wide). I too have a support beam bisecting the room, at the 11' mark. However, my ceilings are 7'7" tall, with the beam coming down about 11". My projector will be mounted in back of the beam at the 12' mark from the screen wall and just clearing the bottom of the beam. I don't anticipate any problems with this setup. With your ceiling height, I wouldn't worry at all.

Good luck!

John

6. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Just a warning about high ceilings--- You may find that you'll be mounting a pj on a longer than desirable pole, depending on your viewing preferences and projector choice.

If you use the often-suggested "1/3 screen height rule" for your optimal screen height, this usually requires the top of the screen to be mounted maybe no more than about 6.3-7' from the floor. Many of the more popular pjs must be mounted no higher than the top of the screen (this is not a RULE, but many are limited this way). If you choose this configuration, you'll wind up with a pole hanging down from the ceiling 2.5-3 feet. That might not be a problem, but it's something to consider. It certainly won't be a problem clearing that beam, though. [​IMG]

Oh... I should add--- you can overcome this "limitation" by choosing a pj with a high offset or a vertical shift feature that works "the right way" (some vertical shift pjs still require the pj to be mounted within the vertical height of the screen, no higher).

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

That was the one and only challange in my room which has 12' ceilings [​IMG]

8. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Heck, I've got only 8-1/2' ceilings, and I still found it a challenge.

BTW, Neil-- I hope you consider yourself lucky, if that was your only challenge.... sheesh. I think I've had maybe 20-30 challenges. At least 6-7 were substantial!