What's new

Beach Boys "Smile" finally to be released? (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
This was reported by Billboard today.

snip

Wilson recently resurrected and finished music from his legendary "Smile" sessions, which he debuted live in the United Kingdom. He is expected to tour Europe in the summer in support of "Gettin' in Over My Head" and possibly bring the "Smile" concert to the United States in the fall.

The artist is currently in the studio working on the final version of "Smile," the never-released planned follow-up to the Beach Boys' 1966 masterpiece "Pet Sounds." Originally titled "Dumb Angel," the album's making precipitated Wilson's infamous nervous breakdown. Although ultimately scrapped as a project, some of the recordings were used to create 1967's "Smiley Smile."

Recordings from the "Smile" sessions have been frequently bootlegged over the years, appearing in everything from single- to four-disc form, with various would-be producers attempting to complete the mythic progressive pop album that all but destroyed Wilson's genius at the time.

Rhino parent Warner Music Group will likely release Wilson's belatedly finished version.

Ike

Screenwriter
Yes, I saw this reported here back in February. They also had a review of a live performance of one of the songs. They gave it 5 stars and said that it sounds most like Can (!). I can't wait.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
So how is this finished? Is he recording new material to mix with the original sessions, or is he mixing outtakes fro mthe original sessions to make a proper record? I don't know if I could take hearing the current Brian Wilson singing alongside the 60's voice, it would break my heart.

Ike

Screenwriter
Read the article I linked to in my post, Russel. It's pretty in-depth.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
According to http://www.nonesuch.com/Hi_Band/index_frameset2.htm

This is a new recording of the smile music featuring the 10 piece band from his tour.

this sucks! I wanted to hear Beach Boys tracks. The incomplete stuff from the Good Vibrations boxset is fantastic! I couldn't imagine listening to these songs with how Brian sounds now.

This is a dissapointment, unless the recorded over dubs only to finish, but all new recordings to me sounds like just that, new recordings, not the originals.

:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks