What's new

Beach Boys Pet Sounds (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Brian Wilson created some really original arrangements layering different instruments (that normally aren't thought of as going together) to make what he called a "vibration."
Most of the songs definitely have a certain feel to them--that feeling to me being a warmish, calming sensation. It's hard to describe (a cup of hot chocolate? an old mushy couch?).

The surround mix definitely falls on the unaggressive side of things, with mostly light use of the rear channels. There are clearly vocal parts & several instruments originating there but with the end result being that all the channels combine to form an airy "bubble" of sound. This creates a spacious quality that I like a lot (sounds similar to that AIX Records Voices Unbound dvd-audio). I still don't know why so many people were upset about this surround mix. And IMO there is a totally solid low end present (conflicting with complaints that there was little bass evident). The bass guitar sounded particularly nice.

The dvd-video side of the this dual-sided disc has a 96khz/24bit LPCM mono and stereo set of tracks that is playable on a dvd-video player. Also, the lyric screens change automatically as the song progresses--nice.

The acapella bonus version of "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" is awesome. I was in choir for three years (the "basic" one with the football players--I was too lazy for the upper-end choirs) so I'm attracted to music with prominent vocals. Make sure you listen to the surround version--the stereo/mono versions are total blahness in comparison.

The last bonus song "Summer Means New Love" had a surprise: I was allowing the track to finish while casually flipping through the newspaper.......and after about twenty seconds passed, more--& different--music started playing! I'll let owners of the disc find out for themselves just what it is. :)

One irritating feature :thumbsdown: : when the disc finishes playing, after 15 seconds it starts all over again. Why??? If I wanted to hear an album again I'll push the repeat button myself. I see no logical reason for this dopey "feature".

StephenA: yes, get it.

I bought this album because (in order of importance) 1) Have heard for years it was very good; 2) I like surf music, including the Beach Boys; 3) think it's good to collect classic albums that have made a difference in the music world; and 4) wanted to check out the surround mix & if it really sucked, the disc still contained the stereo and original mono mixes to listen to. If you've never heard the entire album, I would definitely leave the TV on so you can read the lyrics (not that the vocals are hard to hear)--it will be worth the time to do so for people really into "deep meaning" songs. Anyway, this disc definitely put a $20 gift certificate to very good use.

LJ

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Should I get it because of my liking of those songs?
I also concur that you should get this for those three songs. I don't have the DVD-A, but I have the CD that contains two versions of the album -- the original mono tracks and the remastered stereo tracks. There are other great songs on this CD.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i also bougth this cd (the one with the mono and remastered tracks) because of all the "hype".

simply put, the album is awesome.

someone mentioned the best way to listen to it is all the way through and i totally agree. if you can actually listen to it without any distraction or doing anythin too involving - that will only intensify the experience.

get it. it's dirt cheap and well worth the price of admission.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I'm just getting into the Beach Boys and wanted to know what format of "Pet Sounds" to get, regular CD (the one with the mono and remastered tracks) or DVD-A?

seanJ

Agent
One of the great rock/pop albums of all time...
The recently reconstructed "Smile" is good, but "Pet Sounds" is sublime.
And it sounds wonderful in any version, mono, stereo, surround, whatever.

Regards

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
It's really a one-of-a-kind work. Agree that it isn't the surf & cars Beach Boys. Brilliant compositions, innovative arrangements and instrumentation, angelic harmonies.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ron - i'm kind of a purist.

i would say get the mono cd ... just so you can enjoy the album the way it was originally conceived and evaluated.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
i would say get the mono cd ... just so you can enjoy the album the way it was originally conceived and evaluated.
Well, since the mono version IS on the DVD-A, and is better than any other CD version out there (with the possible exception of Steve's), isn't this kind of a bite-your-own-nose-to-spite-your-face attitude?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
i just don't pay very good attention.
It's O.K. not to pay attention while
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
Pet Sounds, but you must pay attention while listenning to it
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
. It's the law .

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
One of the greatest records ever made. I recommend listening both with headphones and through speakers. You will hear it differently each way, and get more out of the album. It doesn't matter if the Beach Boys are your cup of tea or not (I happen to like their work); I have friends who love punk music but are still fascinated at how brilliant the Beach Boys were in general and on Pet Sounds in particular.

A pretty good biopic on the Beach Boys is Endless Harmony, which is available on DVD. David Leaf's book is good too.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
The album is excellent. There is something about each song... whether the harmony, a particular vocal, or the nuance....

While the albums hits are pop classics, you also get to hear "I just wasn't made for these times," "Here Today" "Don't Talk" "That's not me" among the others. Great stuff, dated in a way, yet the simple lyrics about frustrating things in life are timeless.

I would also recommend their (in my opinion) second best album, Sunflower, available as a twofer with Surf's Up. Sunflower was the best group effort in that each BB was involved creatively and just great great stuff... All I wanna Do, Forever, Add some music to your day, Cool Cool Water...

Meanwhile Surf's Up has the incredible title song and a few other strong tunes.

Then get Friends/20/20

Then you'll want others....

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I saw Brian Wilson perform Pet Sounds a few years ago when he was doing that Pet Sounds Live Tour. It was probably one of the single greatest concerts I've ever seen and heard. Not only did he perform exact but he threw in some other goodies, so apart from the original album which is quite possibly one of the greatest albums of all time I would also recommend getting the Brian Wilson Presents: Pet Sounds - Live In London or any other Live version you can get your hands on. It's kind of neat, he generally opens his concerts with Brian Wilson by the Barenaked Ladies.

Also for added value, two of the songs on Pet Sounds, the instrumentals were songs that Brian had written for a possible involvement on a James Bond film, if not for Sloop John B, God Only Knows and Wouldn't It Be Nice, get the album for some of these other songs that are classic's also.

As for the other Beach Boys albums, they're alright, but I was just as happy buying the Greatest Hits albums and getting their good stuff later on, I've listened to some of the stuff post Pet Sounds and while they have a certain flair to them, they never really peaked again as well or did anything that could stand on that level again. Brian tried a little too hard after Pet Sounds and Sgt. Peppers.

Without Carl Wilson around to do all the harmonies and cool guitar work no Beach Boys band today is going to be any good, especially where they're all broken up, Mike Love is doing his thing, Al Jardine is doing his version of the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson probably does the best job out of all three remaining member. As a side not I think it's Mike Love's Beach Boys that has David Marks the original backup guitar player after Al Jardine left the band stating that he thought they wouldn't go anywhere. If you can also get a hold of any of the recordings with Glen Campbell on them subbing in for Brian those are neat too, he plays a mean guitar. Dennis was the surprise, Forever is one of the best songs that the Beach Boys ever did and that was his baby. Great harmonies and vocals. Also get anything acappella by the band, I have a version of God Only Knows and it's amazing.

Alright I've gone on too long, but I love talking music. Sorry, but definitely get the album to those who haven't.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There are a number of earlier BB records I'd recommend if you find you like Brian Wilson's writing and sense of production. Surfer Girl (two-fer with Shut Down Vol. 2) is a great early album, as are Today and Summer Days (and Summer Nights). Little Deuce Coup/ All Summer Long are also recommended. For later albums (post-Pet Sounds), I'd recommend 20-20/Friends (Carl Wilson's version of "I Can Hear Music" is one of the best things the band ever did), and Brian's return to production with 15 Big Ones/The Beach Boys Love You. As others have said, Sunflower/Surf's Up is a great collection too. And The Beach Boys' Ultimate Christmas (which contains all of The Beach Boys' Christmas Album and then some) remains one of my favorite Christmas records.
Of Brian's solo albums, his first, self-titled album has some of his best work (Love and Mercy, Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long and Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight). The recently-released Smile is brilliant.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I haven't heard the DVD-A, but comparing the stereo remix to the original mono mix on the CD (which has the full album both ways), the mono mix sounds much "bigger" IMO -- things that are separated in the stereo remix are sitting right on top of each other, creating something quite different when they're together. The stereo remix is cleaner and "clearer", but it's not necessarily supposed to be clear.

It's an awful lot like comparing the stereo and mono mixes of Sgt Pepper -- the stereo mix at times sounds "cheaper" because you hear the individual elements rather than the layered effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks