Beach Boys Pet Sounds

Discussion in 'Music' started by Matt Butler, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Ive never been much of a Beach Boys fan but have appreciated some of their somgs; Do you Wanna Dance, Sloop John B to name a couple.

Ive always seen Pet Sounds on best album of all time lists and have heard it is legendary for its time.

Is it really that good? Am I missing soemthing? I havent heard this album yet.

2. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

If you're a music fan, it is *required* listening IMHO. The DVD-A set is spectacular. You've got 5.1, stereo and mono mixes of the album, and great special features.

Cheers,

3. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I picked up Pet Sounds about 3 years ago after hearing much praise for the album. I was a casual Beach Boys fan before that.

Pet Sounds is a wonderful album. As stated in the thread, its a very personal and emotional album from Brian Wilson. This album really got to me and it still does when I listen to it. If you can get the DVD-A, it goes through a lot of information in regards to creating the album.

The Beach Boys IMHO are a very under-rated band. It's unfortunate that currently there are 3 touring acts out there playing Beach Boy songs. This is a band I would like to see reunite.

Paul

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

5. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

7. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

After you are converted by Pet Sounds, you must pickup Friends, Surf's Up, and Sunflower. The last remaster of Friends is the best it has ever sounded.

8. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Matt, Pet Sounds is a great album. As Felix mentioned almost required listening. Read some of the history of those sessions first and I assure you, you will be intrigued to buy. This is some very dark music and it is recorded beautifully. I'm not a huge fan of the Beach Boys, but this must be heard. Yes, it's that good.

9. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Thanks guys. I guess ill have tp pick up the DVD-A

10. Mike Camm

Mike Camm Agent

mee too

11. George See

George See Second Unit

I think it's one of the great albums of all time, and considering you can pick up the dvd-a for 13.99 i'd say it's a no brainer to at least try it. That's the great thing about being into music, the best album in the world, whatever you may think that may be prolly costs less than 15.00...

12. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

One of my top 10 albums, more like top 2 or 3. If you think Beach Boys are all about "Fun Fun Fun" and "Surfin' Usa" and "California Girls", you're in for a pleasant surprise.

13. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

George, where can you get the DVD-Audio for $13.99?

14. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Listen to it with headphones. Seriously, the first time I really "got" Pet Sounds, I listened to it on headphones and when it was over, I sat in silence for 5 minutes, got up, and started the CD again.

Brian Wilson created some really original arrangements layering different instruments (that normally aren't thought of as going together) to make what he called a "vibration." He was attempting to create, again, what he called "a wave of love." I love that about this album. It really IS a wave of love, directly from Brian Wilson to you.

15. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    GOD ONLY KNOWS, on Pet Sounds, is truly among the half-dozen or so most beautiful songs ever recorded.

16. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

Great album. Everybody should own it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Pet Sounds never got the accolades that it deserved when it was released. It was too much a departure from the car and surf songs the die-hard Beach Boys fans wanted. Thankfully the album is now getting the praise it deserves.

18. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I think this title has been mentioned here somewhere so didn't want to start a whole new thread. I just stumbled on this at cduniverse.com:

Brian Wilson: Live At The Roxy Theatre on dvd-audio

Edit: while trying to listen to Brian Wilson's Imagination DTS-CD, I realized someone at cduniverse didn't know how a DTS-CD worked! [​IMG] (Try) to listen to it here.

LJ

19. Michael K Hill

The DVD-A of Pet Sounds also features tracks that take you into the studio as the album was being recorded. The tracks are mixed in 5.1 and sonically place you in the middle of studio, allowing you to hear the direction Brian Wilson gave the musicians. It's really amazing to listen to.

20. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Three of my favorite songs, Sloop John B, God Only Knows, and Wouldn't It Be Nice are off the album, though I never listened to the album itself. Should I get it because of my liking of those songs?