What's new

Beach Boys: Pet Sounds....my new favorite DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
BTW, ARE the stereo & mono tracks REALLY 96/24? My player (Toshiba SD 5700) just reads PCM 2CH for both, whereas the 5.1 reads PPCM 96/24. The PCM 2CH read holds true for all my Capitol DVD-As' stereo tracks (AL Green & Music From Big Pink are the others). I assumed that they were all just regular 48K DVD PCM tracks, not PPCM 48/24 like The Nightfly (done so they can also play on regular DVD players instead of just DVD-A players), not HI-REZ PPCM DVD-A tracks, and I thought it kind of sucked that they did this. My receiver decodes them at 48K (with downmix turned off), but if I play them thru analog, am I really getting a 96/24 track? Unless it took up too much room, the DVD-A side SHB PPCM 96/24, leaving the regular PCM tracks for the DVD side of the disc. At this point it looks like the only difference between the 2 sides is on the 5.1 tracks.

One other complaint about an otherwise great disc: Why did we get Summer Means New Love (which, after all, is ON Summer Days & Summer Nights), only to lose Trombone Dixie & Hang On To Your Ego (which were REALLY from the Pet Sounds sessions, and now will not be available on DVD-A)? If the stated reason is that it was a B-side to a Pet Sounds 45, then where's You're So Good To Me (the B-side of Sloop John B), or for that matter, Good Vibrations (the A-side of Let's Go Away For Awhile)?

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
"Wave of love"

Yeah, that puts it perfectly. I finally picked this up and love it. I have a couple of questions about playing it in a DVD-Video player. When you go to Setup Options, you can choose the track you want to listen to:. DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, "Advanced Resolution Stereo", "Advanced Resolution Mono" etc. I know I don't have a player capable of hirez DVDA playback but I was hoping to be able to play the stereo track since I've only had the mono before this disc. How does one access the normal stereo track? When I select "Advanced Resolution Stereo" or whatever its called, I get no sound whatsoever.

One criticism I have of the disc is the auto-start. Skips the menu and starts playing right away. And, if you leave the menu onscreen, there is some sort of delay before it autostarts AGAIN. You can't just leave it at the menu.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
How does one access the normal stereo track? When I select "Advanced Resolution Stereo" or whatever its called, I get no sound whatsoever.
This is what I was talking about above... it appears they've defeated the digital output capabilities for the 96kHz stereo track (but not the 96kHz mono track). Two solutions: (1) listen via analog outputs; (2) go into your DVD player's internal menu and select whichever setting downconverts the 96kHz signal to 48kHz for output. This is what is required on my Pioneer 414. Kinda disappointing, especially cause the stereo track is the only that I find to be listenable on this disc (I prefer the mono track, generally speaking, but the mastering of that track is for shit on this disc).

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
I have a couple of questions about playing it in a DVD-Video player. When you go to Setup Options, you can choose the track you want to listen to:. DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, "Advanced Resolution Stereo", "Advanced Resolution Mono" etc. I know I don't have a player capable of hirez DVDA playback but I was hoping to be able to play the stereo track since I've only had the mono before this disc. How does one access the normal stereo track? When I select "Advanced Resolution Stereo" or whatever its called, I get no sound whatsoever.
See my earlier post "I think I've solved the mono problem" for the answers to your questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks