Beach Boys: Pet Sounds....my new favorite DVD-A

Discussion in 'Music' started by Justin Lane, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

After listening to this disc yesterday and today, I can prodly say the wait was worth it. This disc is what Hi-res on DVD Audio is all about: Hi-res mono, stereo, and surround, and lots of bonus features.

The actual mixing is quite like DSOTM on SACD, where the multi-channel improves on the original stereo. As they go from the original mono to the newer stereo and surrounds mixes made from the original multi-tracks, the fidelity of the recording increases. The surround track is a bit different then some others recently as the rears are used extensively for vocals (along with front L,R) and the center channel is rarely used. Still, sitting in the sweet spot makes this mix shine, bringing out a three dimensionality that made me fell as if the Beach Boys were performing in my living room.

Turn on your system, fire up this disc, close your eyes and be swept away.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(Note: I am starting this new thread since the other thread discussing this disc here, contains some review comments but does not directly address the quality of the disc in its topic, but instead notes a delay)

J

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Thanks for the review Justin. I will be picking this up.

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Justin,

Very nice.... Unfortunately the place I ordered from cancelled my order, as it was a duplicate.

Except I only placed one order :-(

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Regards,

4. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I picked this up on Tuesday, and although I can see why some may be slightly put off by the mix, I am incredibly pleased with this purchase!

In terms of content, this disc is a blueprint for "how to do" DVD-A. It wreaks of quality and each side is chock full of audio, video (extensive video segments, at that!) photos and insightful liner notes. From start to finish, this is a carefully constructed, well-crafted disc that every Beach Boys fan should experience. There are some interesting easter eggs, too, like the Beach Boys discography section which features 60 seconds or so of an audio track from each album as the cover is displayed, or the extra audio bits tucked away after the conclusion of "Summer Means New Love."

Is it a perfect disc? Well, I guess that depends on your own personal sonic sensibilities.

Is it worth the $16 I paid for it? ABSOLUTELY![​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

One feature of this disk which should be in all DVD-A's is that there is an option to automatically display the lyrics for the section of the song being played. In other words, you can select that option, put away the remote, and the TV monitor will automatically advance the lyrics display as needed so that you can read (or sing) along.

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

My first impression: disappointment.

IMO, this is a very poor surround mix, the worst of all my DVD-A discs, but more importantly the original mix sounds terrible.

I want to live with this disc for awhile and hear the various mixes a few more times before coming to final conclusions, but right now I really agree with this review: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...umber=19059725

7. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

Rich,

I agree with you. This is perhaps one of the worst surround sounds I have ever heard. I have played both the DVD-A side and the DVD-V side mixes and they are terrible. The mono and stereo versions are good, though.

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Tomoko, I can playback the original mono mix on my setup in full 96kH resolution (the best this disc offers on either side), and it simply doesn't sound as good as previous issues. But I'm not quite so dismissive of it than the HFR reviewer.

I don't have and have unfortunately never heard the DCC Gold disc, but those who have heard it claim it's almost infinitely superior. Of course, you tend to find a bit of hyperbole about Steve Hoffman masterings on the Steve Hoffman forum, but I've known for awhile that his is considered to be, far and away, the best mastering of "Pet Sounds" ever (including vinyl masterings, apparently).

As for this disc... it surprisingly lacks a full-resolution, MLP-encoded track of the original mix, but, more than that, it just doesn't seem mastered very well in straight-up linear PCM. It almost seems like a tack-on, as though no-one really cared about it. For me, this is more disappointing than the surround remix.

9. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    Thanks for the info Justin. Now I'm only waiting for my mail..... [​IMG]

10. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary

11. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

Rich, I can also play it back in 96 Khz. I don't have the Gold disc to compare it to either.

John,

When you get it let us know what you think please.

12. John Wes

John Wes Stunt Coordinator

Don't matter how it sounds.....

It's "Pet Sounds", and IMHO...a collectable.....good, bad or indifferent...

My wife is suppose to pick it up for me tommorow. I'm jacked.

And while I have the soapbox.....

Center channel? IMHO, that too can be omited on most surround mixes.....My reasoning is that most setups use a center that is suited only somewhat for movies. Why would anyone want to use it for music if its substandard compared to the fronts?

13. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Tomoko,

I'm not playing this back until I get the Meridian 861 upgraded to v4 and the room treatments done....

Sadly that means 3-4 more weeks :-(

Regards,

14. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

15. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

16. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

17. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    A lack of standards, perhaps?

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I found the mono mix to be a bit more palatable with a little judicious eq. Taking it down a couple dB around 8kHz seems to help.

Unless the DTS track is very different than the MLP 96kHz 5.1 track, there is plenty of LFE activity in the surround mix. I don't know where that comment came from in the HFR review.

Regards,

19. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    BTW, on the DVD-Video side, if you want to go directly to a specific mix/codec, you can skip the menus and use direct title access. Here's the cheat sheet:

DD 5.1 mix - Title 1
    24/96 PCM 2.0 Stereo mix - Title 2
    DTS 5.1 mix - Title 6
    24/96 PCM 2.0 Mono mix - Title 7

I wish they would just make the DD and DTS tracks the same title. They are from the same source mix, and should be exactly time aligned including matching fades, etc., so there's no reason we shouldn't be able to toggle between those two "on the fly".

Regards,