BE Ultracurve or FD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Dodds, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds Second Unit

I've recently purchased a pair of real, proper full range speakers (Genesis Model V). I'm pondering whether to try and EQ them full range with the Ultracurve or stick the tried and true of the Fedback Destroyer.
    I've tried the search with no joy so I was wondering what you all think?
    Thanks
    Steve

2. Oliver

Oliver Stunt Coordinator

Due to the great experience of the Forum members I ordered an Feedback Destroyer Pro Yesterday. In my case, it will be implanted in the bass path of my full range active front speakers. The mid and high range will not be affected.
    I measured a very high peak around 40 Hz and and lows around 60 Hz. As for now I still have to improve my measuring equipment to determine more precisely where to engage the filters.
    But the idea of the FDP is very interesting.
    If it works great I plan to ad another FDP for my two subs.
    I am generally not that much confident using a FDP or an Ultracurve in a full range path. This will surely affect the sound quality due to the fact that multiple A/D and D/A conversation isn't and advantage in sound quality.
    I think it can help a lot in the Bass path, but would not use it in the mid/high path.

3. FrankD

FrankD Stunt Coordinator

You should avoid using an eq for the fronts and mainly use it for you sub area. But before you do anything you did not indicate whether you had any problems with humps or dips with any of your speakers (or room).
    IF YOU DO NOT NEED AN EQ THAN DO NOT USE ONE!
    Now that that is said, if you do have a hump or dip then try to use room treatments first (or if the problem is with the sub move the sub around or place the sub in you seating area and move yourself around to see where the flattest sound is, then place your sub there). If that is not enough then go the eq route for either your fronts or sub. For the fronts I would suggest the Ultra Curve as it is supposed to have 24 bit DACs versus the 1100pros 20 bit DACs. For the sub section 20 bit DACs will do fine. The only drawback of the Ultra Curve is that it only has 3 parametric eq filters per channel (and the others are, I beleive, 1/3 octave fixed bandwith filters - 24 of them per channel) where as the 1100pro has 12. However the Ultracure also has an RTA and the ability to produce sine wave test tones and pink/white noise which can assist you greatly in determining if you have any humps/dips in your room.
    ------------------

4. Oliver

Oliver Stunt Coordinator

FrankD:
    Highs and lows are not only sub related. If you have these with a sub, then you will have these with your front speakers in large mode too.
    Now if you have speakers that allow biamping, you can use the FDP in the bass path without affecting the mid/high range.
    I measured my front speakers and can tell you that nearly the same highs and lows have been measured as with the subs measured.
    For perfect room equalization you have to look at all speakers, and not only point on the sub.