What's new

Be on the lookout for a good 'two for" deal at Best Buy (starting on Sunday 3/09) (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Since it's not yet past midnight here in Seattle, WA - and also being that I don't want to break any forum rules by posting the price, I thought I would at least post this little teaser for you all to look over.

Best Buy will apparently have a pretty good deal on these discs starting tomorrow: 3/09/03

2 FOR $25.00

Goodfellas
The Wizard of Oz
Clockwork Orange
One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest SE
True Romance SE
Unforgiven SE
Scooby-Doo
Amadeus SE
The Color Purple SE
The Shining
Citizen Kane 2 disc

Some of these titles (SE's) will probably go fairly quickly on Sunday - so, Happy Hunting !

Edit: Well, the ad is up on the bestbuy.com website now - so I figure I'm okay to list the deal...along with the sale price. Good luck!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yep, it's legit. Here's a screen capture from Best Buy's online copy of their weekly circular. No mention of limits are in the circular, by-the-way. I'm mention this again in the Roundup, posted later today:

Scooby-Doo: the Movie is part of this in both Full- and Wide-Screen, just so you know.

BY-THE-WAY...GIVE GOODFELLAS A SKIP! A NEW 2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION OF IT IS IN THE WORKS FOR 2003.

Also, you CAN get these via BestBuy.com, which means you can buy them singly through the site for $12.50 each (and mark them for in-store pickup so you don't have to wait). So if you have an odd number you want to buy, do it that way. NOTE: above I mentioned "no limits", but that's in the ad. On BB.com there are limits mentioned: "Limit 3 per title. No Dealers."

But the buying-singly thing works for me, since I want Clockwork Orange, The Shining, and Amadeus. I would have 4 if they had included Singin' In The Rain, but those bastards left it off the list and so I was denied. :angry:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Since all I wanted was "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" I ordered online to avoid the 2-fer hassles at the stores in case the local store checkup system only applied the discount when 2 of the titles were purchased.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
IMO, online is the best way to go for this deal--you can buy an odd number of titles (one, or three, or five, etc.), and you can avoid the very likely out-of-stock situations at the local stores.

My store has less than ten each of most of these titles (save Scooby Doo), and, although there's several copies of the old Color Purple disc, there are zero copies of the new Special Edition.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I decided to purchase the following:

Citizen Kane
Unforgiven
Amadeus
One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest

I've been waiting for a deal on all four of these films and today I've found it.

Michael D., thanks for the heads up, but I don't think my wallet is too happy.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
No problem on the "heads up" Robert. Glad you could add to your collection!

I myself picked up:

The Color Purple (SE)
Cuckoo's Nest (SE) (already own the LD set)
Amadeus (SE)
Citezen Kane (SE)

I would have also picked up True Romance (one of my favorite films of all time) and Unforgiven but I already own both of those.

Can't really go wrong for $12.50 each I guess....

At my Best buy (Puyallup, WA) nobody else was buying these titles while I was there this morning shortly after Best Buy opened the doors...so there was no problem finding the ones I wanted.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Picked up Shining and Clockwork Orange in-store. Looked for Amadeus, it wasn't there. Asked two employees if it was on a special display or in the back, they looked on the same shelf I did and said it was out. I asked them to either look it up in the inventory system or go to the backroom and check. The senior one replied "all of our stock is on the floor" and then turned to ignore me and do some busywork.

I bought what I had, left, went grocery shopping, and now I'm home putting the Roundup together (stopped by here to do some research real quick; still working on it).

I decided to check their site and see if it was in-stock at the other Memphis location for in-store pickup. Well, what do you know...it's supposedly in-stock at the store I was just at! :angry: I ordered it on-line, marked it for in-store pickup, and just as soon as the confirmation e-mail comes in I'm heading over there to get these two shitheads in trouble.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
I had same problem on my first online Best Buy purchase, got to store and was told 3 DVDs were not in stock, I pulled all 3 in less than 3 minutes off the shelf

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I decided to check their site and see if it was in-stock at the other Memphis location for in-store pickup. Well, what do you know...it's supposedly in-stock at the store I was just at! I ordered it on-line, marked it for in-store pickup, and just as soon as the confirmation e-mail comes in I'm heading over there to get these two shitheads in trouble.
Dave, just to play devil's advocate for a sec--that store's inventory computer might show that the discs are in stock, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are. There at any given time, probably dozens, if not hundreds of things that our computer shows as being in stock, but aren't really, due to shoplifting, inaccurate receiving/counts, paperwork errors, whatever. Right now, for example, my store's computer shows that we have six Godfather Collection sets in stock, but we don't actually have any of them. I checked the website, and it shows that I could do an in-store pickup for it at my store--because our computer shows we've got 'em.

And, AFAIK, they might have had them at the start of the day, but if they had sold them before you got there, well, the computer still doesn't update until the next day.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Matt, I'm well aware of all those things (I store-managed in retail for 10 years!)...but it's no excuse to not even TRY to check. :frowning:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Only saw one that I wanted (and didn't already have), OFOTCN. Placed the order online for in-store pickup. 3 hours later I received a confirmation that the title was in stock and being held for me. Only had to buy one title: $13.47 with tax.

Mark

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
***sorry, wrong thread***

Any B&M deals for Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live? Amazon.com has it for $14.99, which is where I preordered it..

Anyways, I highly recommend this title, but it doesn't seem like that many people know about it:frowning:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Kenneth, this deal will be in effect until this Saturday (and supplies on hand will vary from store to store).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mark, same experience here. I already have most of the other titles in that 2/25 offer, and only wanted Amadeus. I put it in my "basket" and noted the price went down to $12.50 even with nothing else in my basket, so I proceeded to check out and just got my "item on hold at _____ Best Buy, ready for customer pickup" email: $13.54 though (we have higher sales tax). :emoji_thumbsup:

MatS

Screenwriter
I ordered online and selected in store pickup for 3 titles: Unforgiven, True Romance, and Citizen Kane. Received an email saying they were not in stock at the store I chose. Went to that same store (with my email print out) at lunch and they had all 3 titles and multiple copies. Went to checkout and 2 titles rang up on the deal but the 3rd title was ringing up full price. I showed the blue shirt my online printout showing each of the 3 movies at $12.50 but she would not budge. I could have took this issue to customer service and had them price match themselves but I didn't need the aggravation and I didn't have the time. Cancelled my in store pick up order and replaced the order for home delivery.

Damn I hate Best Buy, even when I'm trying to take advantage of their stupid mistakes.

Adrian_S

Second Unit
I picked up the following at the store:

One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest SE
True Romance SE
Unforgiven SE (sold my old one)
The Color Purple SE (sold my old one)

... and online, I got:
The Wizard of Oz
The Shining
Citizen Kane 2 disc

At $12.50 a piece, it is a great deal!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Aren't you being a bit harsh, MatS? Granted I'm no BB fan, but I think clearly their online pricing was an error that we are taking advantage of. The clerk was right not to match it in that their flyer clearly says 2 for $25 and that both titles must be on same receipt otherwise it is $19.99 a title. I actually think you're a bit lucky they didn't report the error and cancel all of our online orders for $12.50 per title! (phew!)

I mean if it was a legitimate offer they refused to fulfill then I would be all for their vilification. But when we are taking advantage of loopholes I don't think we really have a right to complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks