What's new

Be a freind, help a n00b with new speakers (1 Viewer)

Gary Sorensen

Auditioning
I received my svs ultra today. Love it, everything I wanted it to be and more. However, I'm not running it with a receiver so it's getting a lot of sounds it shouldn't. I'm actually using it with my computer. What I need is some sort of signal processor. Any help in any area would be greatly appreciated. Since I just purchased the sv sub though money is factor.

Thank you for your time.

PS. I'm using the samson s1000 amp they sell on the svs site.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
That's interesting, an SVS Ultra with a computer. First, welcome to the forum. Next, does that Samson amp have a crossover? If it does, you can use it to filter unwanted frequencies from your subwoofer. If it doesn't, you'll have to buy or build a crossover. What's your budget, and how comfortable are you with building your own electronic components? If you can spend around $200, there are some decent crossovers you can buy.

Gary Sorensen

Auditioning
Thank you for the welcome and reply. Unfortunately there is no crossover. I'd rather not build it but anything around $200 is within range.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
OK. Browse around www.marchandelec.com - they have a wide range of stuff, from full DIY to fully pre-built, and in a wide range of prices and functionality/flexibility. Your other option is Paradigm, www.paradigm.ca - look for the X-10, X-20 and X-30. The X-30 should be available for around $150 - $170. The X-30 and one of the Marchand units are what I see recommended almost every time anyone mentions outboard crossovers.

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
How about a cheap-o Technics 300 or 500 series processor. As long as your sound card has optical cable inputs (fiber optic, or digital cable) this processor should work great. They can be had for $75 or less.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Use a soundcard that has separate outputs (analog) for subwoofer and speakers.

This seems like a strange pairing. You can afford the Ultra but not the extra stuff to setup properly?

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Larry,

All plate amps which usually come with most subwoofers have built-in crossover and phase controls. The most popular examples would be the amps sold by Parts Express, which look identical (or very similar) to the amps I've seen on many subwoofers. I didn't know what kind of amp the Samson was.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Gary,

If you don't mind me asking, what's powering the rest of your speakers?!? Does your soundcard have an amp built in? Just curious as it seems to be a strange setup. Perhaps if we knew more about your setup we could recommend a better solution?

- Mike

Larry B

Screenwriter
Saurav:

Interesting, as I always thought of the cross-over as being part of the speaker, not part of the amp. BTW, what is a "plate amp?"

LB

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
BTW, what is a "plate amp?"
Sheesh, you're so high end you don't know what a plate amp is? ;)
This is a plate amp:
300-792m.jpg

It's called a plate amp because it's flat, and is attached to the back of a sub, maybe a reference to plate bombs or something, I don't know :) You'll find something like that being used in many subwoofers, for instance:
h158sawm40-b.jpeg

Larry B

Screenwriter
Saurav:

Sheesh, you're so high end you don't know what a plate amp is?
My equipment may be high-end, but I sure as heck am not.

On a serious note, I haven't been into this very long (though I did got caught hook, line an sinker pretty quickly) and my ears know more than my brain.

Larry

Gary Sorensen

Auditioning
I'm using soundblaster live 5.1 platinum. So I have spdif, optical, rca, and headphone jack as outputs. I have another amp for the rest of my speakers. As far as not having/buying the proper tools, that is why I'm here now :) My computer is used as the computer and home theater box.
Ned, do you you have any soundcaard recommendations?
Bottom line I have spdif, front l/r, and rear l/r out. I have optical out via a break-out box mounted in the front.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Why buy a receiver when you can get a soundcard that will do 5.1 and 7.1 surround (everything but DTS-ES)? Check out the M-Audio Delta series of cards... it's the equal of a quality pre/pro (for processing). Various engineers from this company are involved with the HT community to make this a viable HT solution. http://www.midiman.net is the URL of the company.

Gary Sorensen

Auditioning
Great link Greg. I had totally forgotten about that company. I'll have to seriously consider getting that card. I picked up this crossover today though:
http://www.behringer.com/02_products...X2310&lang=eng
Unfortunately I can't test it until I get an rca male to female adapter. Things are shaping up though. I've learned a lot in these past 2 days. A big thanks goes at to all you guys. I should mention thought that I'm an audio freak and that I'm not into meeting all the audio standards movies have like dts etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks